The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus theme: Modernize - Make OF1 look like OF2 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I posted this on the omnifocus 2 forum a while ago but I guess that more people will see it here:

After using OF2 for a while, OF1 looks really outdated. I created a theme that copies the colors and some of the icons from OF2 and gives omnifocus a fresh look.

The instructions to install it can be found here: http://ofthemes.com/modernize

I couldn't help but sigh. The other day I had OF 1 and 2 windows side by side and really felt a strong calling to OF 1's appearance. OF2's window looked so washed out and bland. The difference was like night and day for me. Just using the defaults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
I couldn't help but sigh.
The high-contrast monochrome icons are oddly reminiscent of the unreformed black and white version of the marshalling signals on p63 (Layering and Separation) of Edward Tufte's Envisioning Information, now over 20 years old, but still not always full absorbed.

( Jeff Atwood's page shows scans:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/200...beautiful.html )

The deep history of visual design is that technical improvements in the available range of contrast, color and resolution create scope for better cognitive flow (productivity, in fact) by enabling clearer layering and separation – better foregrounding of what matters, better visual grouping of subsets, and better muting of what is secondary, or just UI.

All too easy, if one loses track of that central point, to end up misinterpreting visual change as the ebb and flow of zeitgeist, and running around in sensitive pursuit of what one imagines to be decorative fashion – the latest 'look'.

PS If Omni could just embed a set of design principles which enabled a consistent transition, in all their products and pages, from version 1 of the Marshalling Signals to Edward Tufte's layered and separated version 2, then they might well begin to aim again at some prizes for design.

(The "Omni" style for these forum pages, see the Lithographica ⇄ Omni dropdown at bottom left, is a classic candidate for better cognitive design – visual layering and separation that actually matches the layering of the information and interactions – perhaps a good place to initiate an experiment :-)

Cool, thanks! Now, if only you could replace the toolbar icons, too... Just out of curiosity, what are the four icons in the middle of your toolbar?

Ok, I have replaced the toolbar icons with icons from Stylistica. Maybe they're a bit too dark, but for me they fit very well with your Modernize theme!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toolbar.png
Views:	2959
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	2898  

You've done great job. How can I have the stylistic icon?

Click on the link 'stylistica' in Druido's message.

thanks did that. I was thinking if it was ready somewhere... Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiliog View Post
thanks did that. I was thinking if it was ready somewhere... Thanks again
I would really like the icons...has anyone made them?