The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Quick Entry on the iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is a great example of where Apple is going to need to make exceptions and work more closely with key developers. I expect a tighter integration with what should easily be the premier personal productivity app for the iPhone/ Mac. If Apple is not working more closely with Ken and team, they should be.

This is like the missing cut and paste feature of the iPhone or the long period of an only one-button mouse. Glaring.

I agree we need a quick entry of some sort. It doesn't have to be sophisticated. I hate the workflow of having to hit Home button, then Inbox, then Plus just to jott down some tasks.

Maybe instead of a home button, a quick entry dialog that just adds the entry to the Inbox. It would also be nice if there was the record audio button at the top so if I was really in a hurry, I could hit quick entry button in the app then just quickly record a memo and sort it out later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigc0299 View Post
I agree we need a quick entry of some sort. It doesn't have to be sophisticated. I hate the workflow of having to hit Home button, then Inbox, then Plus just to jott down some tasks.

Maybe instead of a home button, a quick entry dialog that just adds the entry to the Inbox.
How about the Quick Entry button (second from the right)?

-Dennis

+1 for any kind of quick entry feature on the iPhone.

I'd like to add that it would be absolutely fantastic to have a "record" button allowing you to record a quick voice memo that would automatically get thrown into the Inbox. Like someone mentioned in a previous post on this thread, sometimes we're in the car or on the go and don't have time to physically write something. Having a record button and having it thrown in the inbox (let's say with the default title of the date and time the memo was recorded) would allow people to sort through it later when they got a chance. The main point being, the information would be in OF ready to be processed at a later time.

It's not fast in terms of synching but sometimes I just fire off a quick email with the OF trigger. If I don't have my laptop with me, it's at home and running OF and Mail and will add it. Next time I sync it's at least in the Inbox.

Something I've found useful, which may "fill the gap" in the meantime:

There's a nice iPhone app called Note2Self ($NZ4.20, so probably $US3?) which you launch, it motion detects you raising your phone to your ear and vibrates to confirm it's recording. When you're done the proximity sensor on the phone detects you've lowered the phone and it sends the sound file to your preferred email address (has manual start/stop buttons too).

This email can be sent without any further button presses at all (as a preference) and you can choose your own subject - so you may even be able to use OF syntax to do something useful with it (I haven't used OF email inbox syntax so don't know if it works as it adds time and date stamp to your personalised subject)

All with the the one button press just to launch it - pretty nice.

Unfortunately no, you can't use the unaltered OF email magic, because that won't put the sound file into the Inbox - it'll just put the subject in.

It's a shame because it's a great idea!!

Mark

I also would love to have a one click way to make a new inbox item, and start recording a voice note. The point of the inbox is to jott down things as you think of them to get them out of your brain.

Now it's:
Button
Slide to unlock
Launch OF
<load screen>
Inbox item button
Record audio attachment
Save

You could reduce it to 3. 4 if it became a 1 click button in the main interface.

(or, you could make a multitouch gesture!)

Great discussion. I find myself using Jott-to-OmniFocus more frequently than OmniFocus for iPhone for this reason. Using Jott, it's

- double-tap home button (slide to unlock if necessary)
- tap Jott [speed dial]
- wait for "who do you want to Jott?" (faster than OF load time)
- say "myself", then speak the task

Jott then emails me the transcribed task, and Mail.app automatically whisks the task into OmniFocus via AppleScript. I can then, of course, access the task on my iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
Unfortunately no, you can't use the unaltered OF email magic, because that won't put the sound file into the Inbox - it'll just put the subject in.

It's a shame because it's a great idea!!

Mark
Ahh, but this could be done with some tweaking of the email processing Applescript...

-P