The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions regarding Mail rules and OF... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Hello.

I've been experimenting with both OF's Mail preferences (the one with the +omnifocus and the one with the Subject Starting with xxxx).

After my tests, I've come to the this conclusion (PLEASE correct me if you find something inaccurate):

- Using OF's Mail preference #1 (the +omnifocus address) works ONLY if it is typed in the To: or CC: email fields.
If one writes it in the Bcc: field, it will NOT WORK. OF will not "see" it (which is a major bummer for me). I wish I could just type the +omnifocus address in the Bcc field so I could Bcc to myself certain emails that I want to follow up and show up in OF as reminders that I'm expecting some kind of answer.

Even if I edit the header list in Mail and add the Bcc field (so I can use it as a rule), OF will ignore this email. It just sits in my Inbox.

Is there a way I can make this rule work with the Bcc field?

I know I could just use it in the Cc: field, but I'm not sure I like the idea that my clients will see this "weird" followup+omnifocus@xxxx.xxx address in the Cc field. It's a little intrusive, especially if I want to add commands for automatic Project, Context, Date or Flag placements.

I tired using the OF Mail preference #2 too (the Subject starting with xxx). This sort of works if I start the subject with something inconspicuous, such as a _ or even a space or dot. But then my iCal email alarms wouldn't get processed into OF because there's no way I can control what iCal calls things (it always gives you the subject of "Alarm - xxxxx" in the email).

So both of these options almost work for me, but now quite.

- Can you advise me on how I can accomplish what I want with the Bcc?
- Can I change the way iCal writes the subject of the alarm email? (the Alarm -xxx part).

It seems to me that OF could be a little more robust with this way of handling emails. Perhaps if they added an option of Subject Ending with xxx would help?

Thank you!