The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

+omnifocus@ (email rules) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
i've read: Help > "Processing Mail messages into actions". Either I still don't get it or it's not working for me. I have my rule set up.

I tried sending an email to name+omnifocus@domain.com and this email did not work.

Some domains do not support this feature for email addresses. What email service are you using?

godaddy is my hosting company. is that what you meant?

I guess what I should have asked is what you meant by "this email did not work". Did the email show up in your inbox, but not get into OmniFocus, or did it never make it into your inbox at all. If it's never getting to your inbox, then it's a limitation of your email server (which you probably don't have much control over, if it's automagically provided as part of your godaddy-hosted domain).

I've recently been helped with this - if you put -- in the email subject line, followed by the title, it drops it straight into OF. Hope it helps.
Graeme

i received the mail in my inbox but it was not sent to omnifocus

hey, graeme. is there a step by step for the process you just described? what would the rule setup be for that? thanks

There are two ways you can have email messages shunted off to OmniFocus:

1) start the subject line with "--"
OR
2) send the email to user+omnifocus

You have to configure it one way or the other.

That said, there are a couple of obvious points of failure.

1) you don't get the message
2) you get the message, but it can't be given to OmniFocus

Some mail servers don't allow you to do the user+omnifocus thing. You'll be able to recognize this with a simple test; send a message to user+anything and see if you get it in your mailbox. If you don't, you'll have to use the "--" subject line prefix to use this feature.

If you do get your test message, the next thing to check is whether or not your email has a body in rich text. That doesn't play well with the Applescript that runs to transfer your message to OmniFocus and create the new action(s). Plain text only seems to be the name of the game here.

If neither of those are the culprit, then I'd make sure you don't have some other rule that is intercepting the message from being processed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jka33331 View Post
hey, graeme. is there a step by step for the process you just described? what would the rule setup be for that? thanks
Open OF, go to Preferences, then Mail, then click 'a Subject starting with --'
Then just send email to yourself with -- starting the subject line and you should be away.

Graeme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jka33331 View Post
i've read: Help > "Processing Mail messages into actions". Either I still don't get it or it's not working for me. I have my rule set up.

I tried sending an email to name+omnifocus@domain.com and this email did not work.
The forum is very helpful. I am using Entourage. Will Entourage work OK with the mail rules or is it better to use Mail.
Anyone found that moving from Entourage to Mail helped performance in this, and maybe other areas like iCal working better with OF that the Entourage Calendar
Thanks