The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Life Balance Importer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is really rough -- my first applescript script, and definitely a thrown together version.

Quick-and-Dirty Importer from Life Balance to OmniFocus

(Note: requires the beta (v3.4b2), which has better applescript support.)

- You need to create a top level project called "LB" the tree from Life Balance will get put in there.
- Yes, if this were a remotely robust script, it would create that for you. Be glad I'm putting in these comments at least. :-)
- Places will get added as Contexts
- Everything else will get added as a tree of tasks
- Dates should import
- Recurrance doesn't seem to have worked properly
- I left out importance and a number of other LB fields that don't have easy analogues.

- Offered as is. I doubt I know enough AppleScript to offer any support.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LB to OF.scpt.zip (7.0 KB, 940 views)

Last edited by sprugman; 2007-08-02 at 08:40 AM..

Anyone used that? Is it working?

I get this when I try to run the script:
Code:
tell application "Life Balance"
	get document id 1
		"Life Balance got an error: Can't get document id 1."

I used it.

I got that error from time to time. I think saving the LB file, or quitting and restarting OF or LB (can't remember which) helped. There might be a better way to do that -- you could probably hard code the location of your life balance file or something if you had to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Anyone used that? Is it working?

I get this when I try to run the script:
Code:
tell application "Life Balance"
	get document id 1
		"Life Balance got an error: Can't get document id 1."
I get a similar error - what version of Life Balance was the scirpt written for? I'm using 3.2.9 and looking at the AppleScript dictionary it doesn't seem to have many commands. The script almost looks as though it is failing to pick up information from Life Balance, for instance it contains the line:

set {tName, tNotes, tPlace, tCompleted, tDue} to {name, «class Note», name of «class Plac», «class Comp», «class SchT»} of lbTask

I don't think the phrases surrounded by carats («») should be like that?

Ah, yes. It was written for the beta (3.4b2 to be exact), which has much better AppleScript support. Probably should have mentioned that. As for the "«", I think that came in because of the incompatible versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprugman View Post
Ah, yes. It was written for the beta (3.4b2 to be exact), which has much better AppleScript support.
It took me a couple times through this thread before I figured out that you must be referring to a beta edition of LifeBalance, and not some particular version of OmniFocus.

I couldn't find the beta on Llamagraphic's site, although since they told me AppleScript support was "on the way" when I first bought LifeBalance almost 18 months ago, and it still isn't here, even the apparent existance of an actual working(?) beta version still doesn't fill me with confidence.

I strongly suspect I'll be moving to OmniFocus, and will probably write an importer for LifeBalance as well, but I think my approach will be to start by having LifeBalance create an export file, and then parsing the XML-based export file to create the OF entries . . . if there are other people interested in such a script, please do wave your hand or something.

Dave Howell, author of "LifeBalance AutoAssist," found at http://howell.seattle.wa.us/programming/lbaa/

Last edited by snarke; 2007-10-12 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: getting italics correct

I don't seem to be able to access the attachment in the first post (I get "You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page", even though I _am_ logged in). Even if it contains errors, this script would be a good start (I don't want to have to manually import my somewhat large LB tree).

Quote:
snarke wrote:

I strongly suspect I'll be moving to OmniFocus, and will probably write an importer for LifeBalance as well, but I think my approach will be to start by having LifeBalance create an export file, and then parsing the XML-based export file to create the OF entries . . . if there are other people interested in such a script, please do wave your hand or something.
I'm waving!

Regards,

Guy.

I'm waving too

Yet more waving of hands...

Waving here.

Afterthought: One thing about LB I always thought was a good idea but was tedious and difficult to work with was the ability to input when a "context" (typically a retail store) was open. But it was really difficult to do, very time-consuming. Haven't used OF for that yet but maybe there'll be a similar and better-implemented function.

Last edited by rowan; 2007-11-30 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: afterthought...