The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iphone and 2 macs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I synced my new iphone with my mac at home, but my omnifocus desktop version lives on my office mac.
Any way I can sync just the iphone omnifocus with the one on my office mac??
Otherwise I have two separate databases one for work on the office mac and one for home on the iphone. How can I make them talk to each other???

I assume you're syncing using MobileMe, not a cable and iTunes?

Syncing OF using MobileMe is totally separate to syncing calendar etc, so you should be able to tell OF work and OF iPhone to sync using your MobileMe account, while at the same time syncing the other data (calendar etc) between home desktop and iPhone. Like this:

Is that what you meant?

If you ARE using a cable and iTunes, just cut the green out of the diagram and replace with the orange. You will need MobileMe or another WebDAV server to sync OF (the red bit) though.

Mark

Last edited by MacBerry; 2008-09-03 at 11:27 AM..

Very clear graphics, thanks!
Sadly I don't have mobileMe. I sync the iphone and the home mac with a cable. I use spanning sync to keep me icals home and office synced via a google calendar (this is necessary because 2 PC people need access to the calendar) I would rather not have to pay for mobileMe on top of that - spanning sync is $65!!
Am I stuck?

Well, I think you have three options:

1. Find another, cheaper, WebDAV server service. I don't know any, but others on here do.

2. Set up your own WebDAV server. There are instructions for that linked from this forum somewhere. It could be on either your home or work Macs, or even on a third.

3. Wait for local Bonjour symbing over wifi, which OG have hinted is coming.

Apple don't allow third party developers access to the cabled syncing through iTunes unfortunately.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
I assume you're syncing using MobileMe, not a cable and iTunes?

Syncing OF using MobileMe is totally separate to syncing calendar etc, so you should be able to tell OF work and OF iPhone to sync using your MobileMe account, while at the same time syncing the other data (calendar etc) between home desktop and iPhone. Like this:

Is that what you meant?

If you ARE using a cable and iTunes, just cut the green out of the diagram and replace with the orange. You will need MobileMe or another WebDAV server to sync OF (the red bit) though.

Mark
Did you do that with OmniGraffle? ;)

Actually no, I use Skitch. Whether or not you use their web service (I don't), the app itself is simply stunning. I'd have to say it's the most useful app on my Mac; in fact, if there were only one app that'd stop me ever going back to Windows, this'd be it.

I mark up a lot of photo's to explain engineering points, and Skitch makes it as easy as you could possibly imagine. Absolutely everyone should have a copy.

Mark