The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > General > Forums Feedback
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How can I edit already-posted thread? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it just me, or is the "Edit" button no longer displayed on old posts I've created? I still get the edit button right after I post a new post (like this one), but ones from days or weeks past - in which I've just noticed a typo or two - don't seem to have Edit buttons.

Like many other forums (including Apple's), there's a time limit of a few minutes before the Edit link is no longer active. Don't know why it's like that, and I wonder whether the software used by forums (usually external software) provides the limits, beyond the forum manager's power.

The behaviour seems to have changed.

In addition, an attempt to include hyperlinks to KeyBoard Maestro and Fastscripts in a post on scripts was just rebuffed with a message saying that the privilege to included links is restricted to accounts which have posted more than 5 times. My list of posts seems, however, to exceed 2000 …

Some kind of glitch, or an unintended side-effect of a spam policy change ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
Like many other forums (including Apple's), there's a time limit of a few minutes before the Edit link is no longer active.
The number of minutes used to be larger – at least of the order of ten to the power of six :-)

If you look at the FAQ on Applescript installation, for example,

(The software won't let me include a link to it this morning)

you will see that I created the first post in 2008, and was still able to edit it in 2011. This morning, however, I am no longer able to update it.

We've had an increasing problem of spammers trying to sneak spam onto the forums by putting up posts that consist of material copy/pasted from elsewhere on the forums. Later on, presumably after the post has passed initial inspection and is no longer on the moderators' "new post" list, they edit in spam links.

Late last week we adopted the approach that (as mentioned by pvonk) many other forums use to cut down on this kind of thing. You can still edit posts, but only for five minutes after it goes up. Then it's frozen.