The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus vs Toodledo? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
If you specify a Time and Date on the iPhone under iOS4 it will show up as a notification on the device. I have alarms firing daily to remind me to Feed and Bathe the baby at specific times. :)
This is very helpful. Thank you!

Here is a typical workflow for me using OmniFocus.

. Wake up in the morning @ 6:30 am
. OF notifies me @ 6:45 on my iPhone that I need to feed the baby
. At 7:30 it notifies me that I need to Bathe the baby
. I grab the bus into work and review my Due Date Tasks on the iPhone
. I see that I have a meeting today but that I haven't assigned a time to it
. I remember that it's at 10:30am so I assign the time for the reminder to pop up @ 10:15am
. I roll into work
. Check off some items i needed to complete
. Harry walks in to my office with some stuff he needs by end of the day
. I type those into OF on my laptop
. It's 10:15 and my alarm goes off for the 10:30 meeting
. I hit the Sync button on the desktop version of OF
. Close the laptop and head across the road for the meeting
. On the walk over I open OF on my iPhone and see the new Tasks for Harry appear in my InBox where i created them on the desktop
. The meeting proves to be mind numbing so I review the tasks for Harry and realize he forgot a few things so I go ahead and add those to the list of deliverables for today
. I hit Sync just to make sure they are uploaded
. Meeting over, I head back to my office, open the laptop and see i have 3 emails from Harry asking for the exact things I added to my Tasks
. I email him and tell him that I've got it covered.
. Head down...get it done :)

-policarpo | GTD2CYA

Quote:
If you specify a Time and Date on the iPhone under iOS4 it will show up as a notification on the device. I have alarms firing daily to remind me to Feed and Bathe the baby at specific times. :)
I'm running Omnifocus on a first gen iPod Touch with no iOS4, so thanks for the catch.

Be sure to check out the online help for OF iPhone to get a better idea of what you can do with it.

http://help.omnigroup.com/iphone/com...focus/v1.0/en/

And to be honest about your needs, I'll just tell it how it is:

If you want OF which is great you will pay for all three versions. The biggest thing aside from cost you will be missing is the ability to Share your tasks with others like you can in Toodledo.

I've tried everything:
Things (love it but hate that it doesn't offer cloud sync and nested objects)
FireTask (not mature enough and some odd UI conventions
The Hitlist (abandonware :^(
Nozbe (Great but too expensive)
Toodledo (can't stomach the UI)
TaskPro (what I would use with Toodledo)
Remember The Milk (much nicer than Toodledo in look and feel but still missing something)
Zenbelists (cool for simple Lists)
Egretlist (nice ToDo Evernote integration but ultimately fails since the data is locked to the device with no way to back it up or move it if you get a new device)
Awesome Note (uggggg....I have a love hate relationship with this app)
Action Method (awesome but development seems to languish)
Action Lists (great for Toodledo users and fast for entering tasks but the UI has some weird interaction flaws)
Springpadit (cool concept but haven't played with it enough)
OmniFocus (love it minus the ability to fluidly share my tasks with others)

I've tried a few others but I think that covers a good cross section of what your options are.

If you choose Toodledo be sure to get one of the other apps which sync to it well.

If you choose OmniFocus know that it will cost more but that you'll have a trusted system that works and works well. If you choose this route be sure to ask OmniGroup about their Sync Server pricing plans if you don't have MobileMe.

Hope that helps.

-policarpo | GTD2CYA

Last edited by policarpo; 2010-08-19 at 09:51 PM..

I can add to Omni's advantage the following:

- A lot more convenient nesting and rearrangement tools than Toodledo, all with keyboard shortcuts.

- Sync to iCal. I use that to either create events out of tasks (showing me busy for others, etc.) or to send readily arranged info to other programs (being the Mac standard, iCal can communicate with a lot of other software)

- Better integration with files/attachments/emails on your computer

- Integration with other Mac software through scripts

- As mentioned by others: A very vibrant, inspiring user forum and clever people making your Omnifocus even better with scripts you'll find in the forums.

Quote:
Be sure to check out the online help for OF iPhone to get a better idea of what you can do with it.

http://help.omnigroup.com/iphone/com...focus/v1.0/en/

And to be honest about your needs, I'll just tell it how it is:

If you want OF which is great you will pay for all three versions. The biggest thing aside from cost you will be missing is the ability to Share your tasks with others like you can in Toodledo.

I've tried everything:
Things (love it but hate that it doesn't offer cloud sync and nested objects)
FireTask (not mature enough and some odd UI conventions
The Hitlist (abandonware :^(
Nozbe (Great but too expensive)
Toodledo (can't stomach the UI)
TaskPro (what I would use with Toodledo)
Remember The Milk (much nicer than Toodledo in look and feel but still missing something)
Zenbelists (cool for simple Lists)
Egretlist (nice ToDo Evernote integration but ultimately fails since the data is locked to the device with no way to back it up or move it if you get a new device)
Awesome Note (uggggg....I have a love hate relationship with this app)
Action Method (awesome but development seems to languish)
Action Lists (great for Toodledo users and fast for entering tasks but the UI has some weird interaction flaws)
Springpadit (cool concept but haven't played with it enough)
OmniFocus (love it minus the ability to fluidly share my tasks with others)

I've tried a few others but I think that covers a good cross section of what your options are.

If you choose Toodledo be sure to get one of the other apps which sync to it well.

If you choose OmniFocus know that it will cost more but that you'll have a trusted system that works and works well. If you choose this route be sure to ask OmniGroup about their Sync Server pricing plans if you don't have MobileMe.

Hope that helps.

-policarpo | GTD2CYA
A fan of The Hit List has launched an ambitious project to resurrect the app in spirit and make it cross platform on Mac, Windows, Linux, on both the iPhone and Android, and as a web app. Sounds like a lot to bite off right off the bat, but he/she claims the three native apps are working in beta already.

Yeah if they can get this done it will be really cool. Thanks for mentioning it. I had forgotten all about it. :^)

This project looks interesting, but I worry that The Hub List apps for Mac and Windows really aren't native, as in the Mac version isn't written with Xcode and the Windows version isn't written with Visual Studio.

Turns out I was right... The Hub List is written with Titanium Developer. That, in my book, is not native development, and as I understand it, violates Apple's iPhone developer rules (third-party compiler). That's more than enough reason for me to stay away from The Hub List.

I am one of those who switched from Toodledo Pro to Omnifocus with no qualms. That said, my usage scenario obviates web accessibility to my task lists, and I would not have abandoned Toodledo if that were not the case.

The overriding factors that drew me to Omnifocus were:
1. Its GTD-oriented design.
2. Its refined and elegant user interface compared to the rather ugly Toodledo.
3. Its extensive Applescript capabilities.
4. The gorgeous iPhone app.
5. The ability to work offline.

Migrating from one app to another can be tedious, so I would emphasize the advantages of making a sound selection of a task management solution on first attempt. ;-)