The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How about automatic self-updates...? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
...with Sparkle.

Many of the "cool" apps are using it, nowadays. With Sparkle, the app updates itself, even relaunching itself after downloading the update. No more web sites, no disk images to mount/unmount, no dealing with the Finder, and no "you can't replace that because it's still running" messages. :-)

It's a real pleasure to use. Info here:

sparkle.andymatuschak.org/

Sparkle is an incredibly neat framework for software updates. I'd definitely vote in favour for it.

Yes indeedy.

I wonder if it costs anything.

BZ

Actually, I'd rather handle the updates myself ... I know too many Window$ users who scream at their PCs during the automatic updates that won't let them shut down.

--Liz

Actually, it isn't "automatic" in the Windows sense of the word. Applications with Sparkle just pop up an alert saying a new version is available (much as it does already). The only difference is that if you want the update, you click "Install" and it downloads everything and updates the program while you run it. A simple restart at the end of the process and it's all done. So really the main difference for the user is that you don't have to go to a web site, download a DMG, mount it, drag it to Applications, and run the program. I think it is also more efficient too, since it only needs to update the parts that have changed as opposed to getting the whole thing every time. I could be wrong on that last one though.

If you don't want the update, you just skip it.

Ahh ... much better.

Thanks for clarifying.

-Liz
I want to be in control of my computer, not the other way around

Amen! iGTD uses it and it runs flawlessly.

Right now, updates are so fast and furious that an auto-update feature might not work well.

First is the problem of a "bad" update -- i.e. a buggy version that is introduced that you may not want to download

Second, is that by the time you submit a bug report, the new version could replace the old, and a "false" bug report is generated in your mail program for a previous version (i.e. you get up from your desk, come back, hit feedback, and the new version is being reported).

Jeffrey

I suspect Sparke might require an admin password, which gives the installer root privileges. No thanks. I love the drag and drop install on all Omni applications.

Roel