The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wanted: Growl-style bubble for current action Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
iGTD has a feature called "pin" IIRC that puts a bubble in the corner of the screen with info on an action, which was a nice way to look at the notes about the action without flipping back to the full app. I looked at scripting this with Growl notifications, but they don't seem to have an option to make the notification persistent.

Anyone with more AppleScript-fu have suggestions for creating a bubble that will display info on the current action?

This script should do the trick: What Am I Doing?.zip Run it once and you'll get a normal notification. But after that, you can go to the Growl system preference pane, Applications tab, and select Curt's Scripts in the top list. In the bottom list, make the Sticky Notifications actually sticky by making sure the Sticky column has a checkmark.

Curt

Curt, I am getting the following error when I try to run your script:

AppleScript reported the following error:
OmniFocus got an error: NSReceiverEvaluationScriptError: 3

I am using yesterday's build.

Any thoughts?

George

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrump View Post
Curt, I am getting the following error when I try to run your script:

I am using yesterday's build.

Any thoughts?

George
same error

Works fine for me in the latest build, 91773. I'm using Growl 0.7.4.

Try opening the script in Script Editor and running it from there. It should highlight where the error is occurring. Let me know what you find.

Curt

This worked for me, no problem. It seems like a good idea, but do you have to run or invoke the script each time you want growl to run the notification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
This worked for me, no problem. It seems like a good idea, but do you have to run or invoke the script each time you want growl to run the notification?
OK, running it from script editor worked. Not sure what this is supposed to do though. I was under the impression that as I moved from task to task it would but a growl bubble up. Was I mistaken? I am using GROWL 0.76

Thanks,

George

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrump View Post
OK, running it from script editor worked. Not sure what this is supposed to do though. I was under the impression that as I moved from task to task it would but a growl bubble up. Was I mistaken? I am using GROWL 0.76
You run the script, it posts a notification. There is no way to make the notification track OF. You just have to run the script again when you want to post a reminder of what you are working on.

The script really was just a quick one-off to demonstrate how to post sticky reminders with Growl. I don't plan to support the script and won't be posting it to my scripts page as I don't have a need for it.

I don't think I understand what you all are wanting to do with such a script. I was thinking you just wanted to keep track of what you were working on, so when you finished dealing with an interruption you could return to what you were doing. Are you looking for something that shows your top-most next action and allows clicking to complete and then show the next next action? That an interesting idea, but isn't something that Growl would be useful for.

Curt

This works for me, too. If anyone has done anything more with this, or would like to, I hope you see my request for development here.

Unfortunately, I'm getting this error message when I run the script

http://img.skitch.com/20080506-dx7ub...nba62emt4d.jpg

Does anybody knows how to fix this?