The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What is the Review feature? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I see it in Preferences, and I see "Next Review" in one of the filter drop-down menus. What is this feature? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

--Sandy Santra

Hi Sandy,

The next review feature enables you to review your projects at intervals that are most helpful to keep your project moving along. For my standard projects, I review once a week. For my hot projects, I review every couple of days. You can set the default in the preferences or set it on a per project basis.

The next review is used in conjunction with the filter ribbon. It will show you which projects you need to review on a given day. For example, all of the projects that were up for review would be up for a given day. I have had more success reviewing on a daily basis instead of waiting for one day in which I review all of my projects.

Steve

OK, I get it. Pretty straightforward actally. Staggering would be one strategy--probably useful for me, since I have about 70 projects. I guess one or two a day would be optimum.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Hi Sandy,

The next review feature enables you to review your projects at intervals that are most helpful to keep your project moving along. For my standard projects, I review once a week. For my hot projects, I review every couple of days. You can set the default in the preferences or set it on a per project basis.

The next review is used in conjunction with the filter ribbon. It will show you which projects you need to review on a given day. For example, all of the projects that were up for review would be up for a given day. I have had more success reviewing on a daily basis instead of waiting for one day in which I review all of my projects.

Steve

I set the review duration for projects and see projects sorted by next review filter. Now what?
Do I need to manually update the next review date?

You hit command+shift+4 and it will move to the next review date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie View Post
I set the review duration for projects and see projects sorted by next review filter. Now what? Do I need to manually update the next review date?
There is also a toolbar icon called "Mark Reviewed" that will, when clicked, change the review date for you.

Any success I have had with the "mark reviewed" feature is because I TRY to do this daily. I would rather review 10 projects in 10 minutes each day rather than deal with 60 taking a good hour during a weekly review.

Wow, this feature has great potential! I'm jumping right in and setting up a "review every day" habit for every project. (Still a little confused about the difference between the "Fixed" vs. "Unfixed" Default Review Time setting in Preferences. Anyone understand that?)

I've set up a Perspective that pulls up all Remaining projects, filtered for Next Review, in collapsed form. I start at the top of the list, hit Command-9 to expand the project, look it over, and then Mark Reviewed when I'm done. (Shift-Command-4 isn't working for me, though--that just turns my cursor into a bull's eye pointer. Is that the correct shortcut?)

Thanks, everyone!

OK, wow, the system is working so good that now I really do need a keyboard equivalent for the Mark Reviewed icon (which doesn't seem to jump me to the next date, but to the next project in line).

Any help on this really appreciated. I tried a bunch of command key combinations + the 4 key, but no luck so far.

How did you all figure out that this is how it works? I had been wondering about reviewing, and the whole issue of how to incorporate time is unclear to me. I understand that mechanically this should be done through the inspector, but I don't know what it buys me to do it.