The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

grouping actions in Perspective by action group Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to have actions in a Perspective (e.g., Due) ordered &/or group by action group (e.g., indented below the action group's item)? Right now, ti seems like the default has actions and action group titles appearing in an indistinguishable fashion.

This may be a workflow matter for me (separating planning from working), but it's a feature of OF that I'm a bit uncomfortable with.

Thanks in advance for any pointers other OF gurus can share.

The Due view is based on Context mode, so just select View -> Grouping -> By Project from the menu bar while it's active and you'll be all set.

(If you want to make this change permanent in a given perspective, you can use Perspectives -> Save Window As -> <name of perspective>.)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Brian; 2011-04-19 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: add "while it's active" for increased clarity. :-)

Thanks, Brian. Even when you group 'due' actions in that fashion (by project), they are organized in a way that obscures the action group to which they belong. Often the 'action group' action appears at the bottom of a list of 'due' actions (e.g., when the due date of the action group has passed) - I'd prefer that it appear at the top of the action list, with the actions contained in the group indented or otherwise showing the 'group' context in which they appear.

Hope this makes more sense.

(I know I can hit the 'switch' button for each such action to be brought to the 'action group' displayed in planning mode, but that's a lot of switching around. I thought there might be an easier way that I'm missing.)

Nope, there's no better way. You'll probably want to also sort by project if you want the list to make any sense at all!

Aaah, I understand now! Yeah, by default we put the items in the order you'd check them off in a task list. First the child tasks, then the parent task, which presumably is only complete once the children are.

I'm not sure we have a feature request open on showing them arranged that way in Context mode, but if you email the support ninjas, they can certainly file one for you!