The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 1.5 Wish List Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeworkman View Post
I have to second this post (plus one). I would love . . . .

1. OmniPlan integration really needs to be done. It just makes sense.
Coming a bit late to this party, but I've only recently acquired OmniPlan. Agreed, very much like to see this.

Would love to see ZOOM - Just the exact same functionality as what is in OmniGraffle - wold be perfect for me and others I am sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Why? I think OmniFocus looks pretty good the way it is.
A better question is, "Why not?"

What looks good to you is subjective. Choice isn't a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDork View Post
A better question is, "Why not?"
OK, then perhaps we should ask the same questions about adding an email client, FTP client, music and video player, drawing capabilities, VOIP support, a nice iTunes-style visualizer, maybe a web browser, etc. to OmniFocus? After all, "why not?" :)

I'm being facetious, but in all those cases, the answer is the same: without some compelling reason, all of those things are unnecessary and consume limited engineering resources that are better used fixing bugs or adding widely-desired functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDork View Post
What looks good to you is subjective. Choice isn't a bad thing.
Yes, I suppose "what looks good" is subjective, but so is the desire to see that feature added. And in my opinion, the feature is unnecessary. I'm simply providing counterpoint.

Omni Group obviously cannot cater to every whim that floats by on the forum. Before adding/changing anything, the idea should be seriously scrutinized, no matter how trivial it seems.

Choice isn't always a good thing, either. It frequently leads to unnecessary complexity and confusion. In fact, one could argue that Apple's entire design approach is based on the careful limitation of choice, offering only what they think is truly necessary to make something functional, desirable, and fulfilling. It's that simplicity, elegance, and daring (some might call it arrogance) that makes Apple and their products special and has likely led to so much success in recent years where so many others have failed.

All my ranting aside, to truly evaluate the original feature request, more information is needed:

1) Change the icons? Which icons and change them to what? And what's specifically wrong with the current icons?

2) Change the colors? What colors? You can already change some of them (sidebar and font, although UI improvements in this area are supposedly planned).

3) Change "the whole presentation screen in OF"? What does that mean exactly? A new view? Scrap the whole layout and start over? A request so vague is virtually useless. And I hope Omni Group doesn't waste any time trying to guess what was meant.

OK, sorry - little too much coffee this morning. :)

I've had printing issues continue throughout the alpha / beta / Pro stages. Fixing the known header printing problem and determining what's causing occasional font problems (two letters printing in same space, two letters separated by space on printed page that's not in original file) would be much appreciated.

Having a smart, automated way to generate clean breaks at the tops and bottoms of pages would be really helpful, too. If I have a project header with multiple smaller projects or next actions below it, I frequently have the project header print at the bottom of one page with all the associated actions on the following page. If there's not a way to automate keeping together the project header and at least the first child, how about a manual way to do so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
If you open the Inspector, you can see timestamps for when each action or project was added and changed. Do you want something more?
Yes, I don't want to have to open the inspector.

When hiding the perspective settings the right pane with the describing text should go away.

When showing the perspective settings the window should bounce of the screen corners if the window would not fit on the screen anymore.

The selected perspective in the Perspective window should stay in sync with the last used perspective/activated main window in the same way the "Take snapshot of <perspective>" in the Perspectives menu already does.

Editing of perspective names shouldn't be double click but click, wait and click and/or click and Enter. Imho having the whole row as double click target to open a perspective would be more useful.

Last edited by Schlaefer; 2008-06-20 at 10:52 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlaefer View Post
Editing of perspective names shouldn't be double click but click, wait and click and/or click and Enter. Imho having the whole row as double click target to open a perspective would be more useful.
I am using OmniFocus 1.0.2, and when I click on a perspective name in the Perspectives window, and wait, the name becomes editable.

I think Schlaefer is saying (and I agree) is that the perspectives window ought to work like a list view in the Finder. In the Finder, one can double-click on the name as well as the icon and the file will open, which makes for a bigger target than just the icon. It'd be nice if the perspectives window worked that way, instead of having double-click take you immediately into editing the name of the perspective, which is a rather less frequently done operation than using the perspective!
Quote:
I am using OmniFocus 1.0.2, and when I click on a perspective name in the Perspectives window, and wait, the name becomes editable.
I'm also running 1.0.2 (Tag: OmniFocus/1.0.2/GM-v77.1.7) and I am unable to get the behavior you describe. Single clicks do nothing but (re)select the perspective in the list, no matter how long I wait. A double click on the name puts me in name edit mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
It'd be nice if the perspectives window worked that way, instead of having double-click take you immediately into editing the name of the perspective, which is a rather less frequently done operation than using the perspective!
I'm not sure I agree. I use the perspectives window exlusively for editing perspectives. If I want to switch/open a perspective, I select it from the menubar or toolbar or use a key combination. So I do a lot more renaming in the perspective window than I do launching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I'm also running 1.0.2 (Tag: OmniFocus/1.0.2/GM-v77.1.7) and I am unable to get the behavior you describe. Single clicks do nothing but (re)select the perspective in the list, no matter how long I wait. A double click on the name puts me in name edit mode.
Maybe he's talking about renaming contexts in the sidebar of context mode on the main window?

-Dennis