The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Reviews (quick, long) Post Here Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think the size is meant so you can hit it with your fingers. Not sure I agree it needs to be THIS big, but I get why they had something be big.

BZ
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspruance View Post
People who have tested, is it worth it for me to spend $40 for yet another different version of the same program, or should I just continue to use the iPhone version? Does it look like the iPad version is worth $40? By the reviews here, it looks like people aren't in love with the interface.
I've owned the desktop version and iPhone version since each were released, but prior to the release of this iPad version I did consider switching, as the cost is hard for me to justify.

I downloaded a handful of the top-selling task managers on the iPad and realised that none of them were going to come close to meeting my expectations (multi-level hierarchies and syncing are particularly in short supply), so I've bit the bullet and stumped up for the iPad version. And as I've stated above, UI concerns aside, I'm glad that I did.
 
I am really pleased with the "Fisher Price" sized interface.

I am inherently lazy and I need OF to be quick and accessible and friendly looking.

The iPad version does that. On the desktop, I have small font sizes and tons of data on-screen. I don't want that for the iPad version.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdf View Post
I downloaded a handful of the top-selling task managers on the iPad and realised that none of them were going to come close to meeting my expectations (multi-level hierarchies and syncing are particularly in short supply), so I've bit the bullet and stumped up for the iPad version. And as I've stated above, UI concerns aside, I'm glad that I did.
Thanks for the input pmdf. I figured all the other apps fell short. I'll keep watching and the consensus on the UI. I am in love with OF so I will probably end up buying it. It's just hard to cough up that kind of money these days.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
I think the size is meant so you can hit it with your fingers. Not sure I agree it needs to be THIS big, but I get why they had something be big.
Have you ever hit the wrong item accidentally in the iPhone version? Those are plenty big enough.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK View Post
Have you ever hit the wrong item accidentally in the iPhone version? Those are plenty big enough.
I have not, but after just taking the ipad on the road and using it on the in the subway, I get why the icons are bigger.

I agree they are a little big and there is some spacing issues, but OG will listen to us and I am sure will make changes.

BZ
 
I would prefer the ability to reduce the font and the size of the boxes, but I understand that is a personal preference. It seems a little odd to be talking about the next release so soon since it came out but I will hope that the option will be there soon.

In the meantime, I still love this app. For anyone hesitating to purchase this - do it now. This app (as expected since it is from OG) is by far the best task management / GTD / To Do list out there. I have probably purchased and installed almost every one out there in iTunes, and I have only been using this for a few hours, but it is the best, IMHO.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
I have not, but after just taking the ipad on the road and using it on the in the subway, I get why the icons are bigger.

I agree they are a little big and there is some spacing issues, but OG will listen to us and I am sure will make changes.

BZ
I would be too embarrassed to be seen using this app on the subway. The UI is an absolute mess for starters. in addition to that... I really don't want the guy in the next carriage to know that that I need to change my underpants (with font size 34, this is easily accomplished)

I honestly don't know what the Omni guys have been doing? I mean, they had like 90% of the code they could have reused from the iPhone app. They simply needed to hook up the back end code to new iPad interface objects. They could have used the default iPad split view controller and default table views and buttons... And would have accomplished this in about 2 weeks from starting the project!

In fact, I would actually have preferred a universal "fat client" upgrade to the existing iPhone app. It would have cost us customers nothing and could be used on both iPhone and iPad while retaining the same familiar interface that we have all been used to for the past couple of years.

IDK.... **sighs** Did these guys even read Apple's iPad HIG???

Last edited by IceWind; 2010-07-30 at 08:35 AM..
 
This is strictly personal choice, but I think you will see that the sizing of each item might be a good compromise. In my use, I found the sizing to be perfect in tapping, holding and release, and other things when I don't have the iPad held right next to me.

Unlike iPhone where I have the device close to me pretty much all the time, my iPad at times sits on my desk, propped on the stand, etc.

So, the small sizing might not work well in those situations.

However, perhaps Omni can make this optional so that everyone can have their own cake and eat it.

Last edited by ksrhee; 2010-07-30 at 08:40 AM..
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
I would be too embarrassed to be seen using this app on the subway. The UI is an absolute mess for starters. in addition to that... I really don't want the guy in the next carriage to know that that I need to change my underpants (with font size 34, this is easily accomplished)

I honestly don't know what the Omni guys have been doing? I mean, they had like 90% of the code they could have reused from the iPhone app. They simply needed to hook up the back end code to new iPad interface objects. They could have used the default iPad split view controller and default table views and buttons... And would have accomplished this in about 2 weeks from starting the project!

In fact, I would actually have preferred a universal "fat client" upgrade to the existing iPhone app. It would have cost us customers nothing and could be used on both iPhone and iPad while retaining the same familiar interface that we have all been used to for the past couple of years.

IDK.... **sighs** Did these guys even read Apple's iPad HIG???
I'm sorry, but your comments makes me think you haven't tried the iPad application. It's nothing like the iPhone application, and it pretty much has the power of the Mac program (except creating perspectives) and some new and interesting features.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blog Post: A Little Weekly Review Goes a Long Way BwanaZulia Applying OmniFocus 2 2011-10-05 04:35 AM
long user profile squeezes user post eugene Forums Feedback 1 2006-04-06 06:53 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.