The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Trouble Importing mpp from MS Project Manager Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I'm trying out omniplan. I like what I've read so far and I've been playing around with it and it looks good.

I tried importing a microsoft project file (mpp) and it opened, but none of the tasks have the right names - they're just named "task 1" "task 2" etc.

Is this because I'm using the trial version? I only want to get omniplan if it's compatible with mpp files otherwise it's useless to my team.

I'm hoping to resolves this soon - any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Nerea

It probably isn't that you're using the trial version; the Omni policy seems to be to allow trial versions to read any file, so that you can read or print a document someone gives you without having to own the application. That said, I'm not 100% certain that it applies in this case because you aren't opening an OmniPlan file. If you want to send me a token Microsoft Project file without any confidential information in it, I can try opening it for you in my licensed copy and send the results back. Check your private messages for the email address.

It's not a matter of it being a trial version. There's a known issue with opening Microsoft Project 2007 files in 1.5.1.

We've addressed this issue in OmniPlan 1.6. Technically it's still only a release candidate, not the final build, but we think it's just about ready for final release. If you'd like to give it a go, you can download it here: http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniplan/beta/

Thank you whpalmer4 and Lizard!

I will ask my teammate to send me a 2003 version of the document to try it out.

And I will download the trial version too to see if that works for me.

Best,
Nerea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
It's not a matter of it being a trial version. There's a known issue with opening Microsoft Project 2007 files in 1.5.1.

We've addressed this issue in OmniPlan 1.6. Technically it's still only a release candidate, not the final build, but we think it's just about ready for final release. If you'd like to give it a go, you can download it here: http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniplan/beta/
Using a license of 1.6.3 (v143.25), imported a file from MS Project. The file opened okay, but had to rename the project in the Inspector, as a minor detail.

Would this have anything to do with not being able to filter a subset of tasks? Am trying to filter the first 53 of 95 tasks. These tasks comprise a group with several subgroups. Filtering by All -- IsSelected, Type Is Group of Tasks, and TaskTitle only returns the unexpanded top level task.

This task outline is due to the sponsor in the next 36 hours so, should the entire project be re-created in OmniPlan??

Please advise.

I answered this in http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13964. The filtering behavior encountered has nothing to do with the original source of the data.