The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Version compatibility: did I just screw up? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I had a website flowchart I was working on in my licensed version of OG3. I wanted to see what OG4 was like so I got the Pro version with a trial license. I used it some, and on other stuff. Apparently I also opened up the flowchart in OGP4 and saved it.

Now I've decided to stick with OG3 and opened up the flowchart in it. I get a message about document compatibility. The document ends up being completely read-only and all I did was basic stuff (placed a PSD, basic styled boxes & lines.)

Any way for me to get that document back to working in v3? I only keep incremental backups on this sort of stuff for a week. I usually catch my mistakes more quickly.

It's read-only probably due to running Graffle 4 without a license, in demo mode.

If your copy of OmniGraffle is licensed, all you need do is open up the Graffle files in question using a text editor (OmniGraffle documents are XML), perform a search for the string, "ReadOnly" (minus the quotes) and change the key value from "YES" to "NO" in each case (again, minus the quotes) and save.

Hope that helps,

Thanks, that sounded promising but when I opened the file in BBEDit, it already read:
Code:
<key>ReadOnly</key>
	<string>NO</string>
The OG3 license I'm using is the one that came with this machine. It's 3.2 (v74.5). (I own one in my name, but haven't used that license since I got this machine.)

Any other ideas? Thanks much.

So I'm going through the file and comparing it to a known v.3 file. I've changed some of it, but still no go. I now realize I added another canvas to the file, and I'm guessing that may be causing the issue. I can view the canvases in the older version, but I know I shouldn't be able to edit them.

I got another trial license for the time being.

Adding the extra canvas is the culprit, the standard version of OmniGraffle (be it version 3 or 4) will open up multiple canvas files as read only.

Thank you.