The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOLVED: Can't get ANY tasks to sync to iCal Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am a brand new user and I would like to sync some actions in a context to iCal, but nothing will sync.

I was syncing entourage with iCal, but I stopped that I went into Entourage and unchecked all the sync preference.
I have gone into to preferences OF and moved the phone context into my personal iCal calendar.

Still nothing comes across in the "to do" list in iCal

I also really like the idea of syncing only the "flagged" actions and I even figured out how to install the apple script into the tool bar that was suggested by uku, but I get an error message. AppleScript reported the following error:
iCal got an error: Can’t get calendar 66. Invalid index.

I don't know if I am getting an error because it won't sync at all with ical or something else.

Help, please.

Cyn

Cyn-
Hmmmm... I'm not sure what exactly is going on here - you'll definitely want to contact the support ninjas.

So they can figure out what's going on, can you include the following information in your email? (Actually, it'll probably be easiest if you open OmniFocus and select "Send Feedback" from the help menu. That'll send some information that will help us.)

It would also be helpful if you could attach the following information to that email.

A screenshot of the "iCal" tab of OmniFocus' preferences. (You can take a screenshot by pressing command-shift-4, and then dragging your mouse over the area of your screen you want to take a picture of. The picture will be placed on your desktop.)

Next, if you could open up your Applications folder, and then the Utilities folder within that one, and launch the application named 'Console'. Press the 'clear display' button at the top of the console window, and then try to do a synch in OmniFocus. If any text appears in the console window while this is going on, please copy and paste it into the email.

We'll probably have a few more questions after you send us that information, but that will get us started.

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience this is causing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwifewade View Post
I am a brand new user and I would like to sync some actions in a context to iCal, but nothing will sync.

I was syncing entourage with iCal, but I stopped that I went into Entourage and unchecked all the sync preference.
I have gone into to preferences OF and moved the phone context into my personal iCal calendar.

Still nothing comes across in the "to do" list in iCal

I also really like the idea of syncing only the "flagged" actions and I even figured out how to install the apple script into the tool bar that was suggested by uku, but I get an error message. AppleScript reported the following error:

I don't know if I am getting an error because it won't sync at all with ical or something else.

Help, please.

Cyn
First of all, if you have the Birthday Calendar turned on in iCal, that at least used to cause problems syncing, so turn that off and see if it helps.

Second, the script to sync only Flagged items needs to be edited I believe for it to work, I think you need to name your calendars in there or something. I haven't used it, but I think so. And from what I hear, there are instructions on how to do it when you open it in Script Editor.

Do report back what the support ninjas said and such to let us know if you got it working.

Hey everyone, thanks for your help. 2 out of 3 problems solved.
Here is the answer from the Ninjas and how it worked out for me. Still can't get the flagged scripts to sync and error message is below, if anyone can explain to me how to fix this.

Dear Michaela,
This worked! Yeaa! It is syncing with iCal. The scripts won't work, but I think that is because I don't understand how to set them up right. I managed to get the individual task to sync by adding the "OF:Remind" calendar to iCal, but I can't get the script for the "flagged tasks" to sync. Error message is: AppleScript reported the following error:

I have no idea what this means or how to fix it.

However, thanks so much for your help. I will post this on the forum.

Cynthia
On Jul 3, 2008, at 7:39 PM, OmniFocus Support wrote:

Hi Cyn,

Thanks for taking the time to write us. We really appreciate it and I'm sorry for the trouble here. Have you tried rebuilding your database in OmniFocus and resetting iSync? If not, you can rebuild your database form the file menu in OmniFocus and resetting iSync can be done by quitting all other applications, opening iSync, opening its preferences, and then pressing the 'Reset Sync History' button.

The error with the script is most likely because Sync Services won't allow a sync. If this doesn't help, would you mind sending the output of the Console log a second time after doing this?

Again, I'm sorry for the trouble. Thank you for your help!

Sincerely,

Michaela

I'm not sure what's *causing* the error message, but the script is telling iCal to do something to the 66th calendar in the application. Apparently you have fewer than 66 calendars, so the script is trying to do something to a calendar that doesn't exist.

It would be helpful if you could post a link to the script you're trying to use - I'm not familiar with it, so can't really offer much help of any substance.

having a similar issue. OF tasks are a no show in ical.

as suggested this thread in tech support above:

i added OF specific calendar (and reassigned some test contexts to it.)

i cleared the isync history.

after synching in OF, the combination of these two actions resulted in isync reconciliation windows for the conflict between the two similar (identical) tasks (now) with a different calendar tagged. i reconciled the conflict and thought i would see changes in ical, to no avail... the events were still not visible to me.

the changed tasks are triggering the conflict in isync, but not making it to the ical view.

??

oops, my bad. there is a separate todo window/tray in ical. i was expecting them to come up with other events in the main cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofbillions View Post
having a similar issue. OF tasks are a no show in ical.

as suggested this thread in tech support above:

i added OF specific calendar (and reassigned some test contexts to it.)

i cleared the isync history.

after synching in OF, the combination of these two actions resulted in isync reconciliation windows for the conflict between the two similar (identical) tasks (now) with a different calendar tagged. i reconciled the conflict and thought i would see changes in ical, to no avail... the events were still not visible to me.

the changed tasks are triggering the conflict in isync, but not making it to the ical view.

??

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofbillions View Post
oops, my bad. there is a separate todo window/tray in ical. i was expecting them to come up with other events in the main cal.

What do I need an additional to do list for?
It seems like the whole point of taking the time to schedule a task or event would be for it to magically appear in my calendar.

Am I missing something or is this a bogus feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2Astronaut View Post
What do I need an additional to do list for?
It seems like the whole point of taking the time to schedule a task or event would be for it to magically appear in my calendar.

Am I missing something or is this a bogus feature?
Bogus is in the eye of the beholder. People who use a smart phone besides the iPhone, or a Palm, or some other device that can sync with the iCal to-do list are very grateful for this feature.

As for scheduling tasks on the calendar, there have been a number of threads on that. For my take, see this posting. See the rest of the thread for opposing views. Just a question though: if you set a start date of August 1 and a due date of September 15 on a task, how should OmniFocus represent that task as a calendar event?