The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone: backup of tasks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I don't use desktop OmniFocus but am thinking of getting the iPhone version. However, I'm nervous of just having all my tasks on the phone - if it breaks or gets lost I'd like to have a backup of some kind I can at least read on my Mac. Ideally it'd be in iCal or something, but just being able to reconstruct my to-do's would be the minimum I'd need.

Is there a way to do this without buying desktop OmniFocus? I'm finding it hard to work out from the website how much the iPhone app can do without the desktop app. Thanks.

When your phone is plugged in to iTunes the applications and their data is backed up, but I don't think we have access to it in any meaningful way. You'd have to restore the data to your Phone.

Ah, that's a shame, but thanks anyway. I think desktop OmniFocus is a bit overkill for me, especially just as a way to access tasks in the case of emergency.

Oh, wait - I'm a dunce. You could set up synchronization on the phone to get your data off/backed up independantly, and then in case of emergency, use OmniFocus in trial mode for two weeks.

Would require some setup, of course.

Could you expand on that Brian? What does it mean to back up the data "independently"? What is the set-up involved? Thanks.

Brian just means that even if you're not currently syncing with the desktop copy of OmniFocus, you can set up syncing on your iPhone so that your database gets backed up to the sync server.

Then, if your iPhone does break or get lost you'll be able to download a trial copy of OmniFocus for the desktop and sync with the same server to get at all your tasks (letting you view, print, and export them).

Ah, that makes sense, thanks Ken (and Brian). I'll look into getting my WebDAV set up.

That's a good idea! Can you do the same with MobileMe?

PsychLik: Yes. (For OmniFocus' purposes, MobileMe is just a specific flavor of WebDAV.)

HUGE hole in programming. Laptop version overwrites iPhone version with MobileMe.