The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Today" list Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I come from using Things, and I switched to OmniFocus today, because I wanted something more powerful.

I just completed the introduction tutorial, and I've been playing around with it a lot, and I really like it, I'm just wondering about one thing.

Things has a feature called "Today" where it's a bin you can "tag" things to be completed today, you don't set due dates, it's simply a bin where "today" items exist, but they don't actually move the items to that bin, they simply exist in their original project and also in "today".

Is there a way to do this in OmniFocus? I don't want to switch perspectives or anything, I just want a bin or context to show up, and also changes the badge.

basically I want to emulate exactly the "today" feature from Things, but in OmniFocus.

Thanks!

The 'Today' view has been discussed quite a bit, and the short answer is that there is not an exact match for Things Today view, but you can somewhat duplicate it by flagging tasks tasks to put them on the radar for today and use the 'Due or Flagged' perspective. There's a thread just discussing this under 'My biggest problem with OmniFocus...' that goes into more detail.

In Preferences, under the Data tab you can change your "Due Soon" preference to 24 hours. That will give you a list of items due within the next day. In the perspectives window, you can rename "Due Soon" to "Today."

I'm sure other people have better ways of doing it, but that's an option for you to try.

Although tags of some sort are supposed to be implemented in v2.0, a Today feature is not omitted for lack of effort. Something to be done on a certain day during a certain time would be more appropriately placed on a calendar instead of in OF (a task may report to a project that an item on the calendar was actually done). If you would like to chip away at a selected set of projects on a given day then a review with flagging and sorting done the morning of or night before should result in the the relevant tasks floating to the top of your Next Actions and Context appropriate Available lists of Actions while helping you not miss something you may be forgetting. Personally, I think making a Today list requires me to put too much into my head for sorting and prioritizing when OF and GTD is supposed to help me do that less. Just food for thought.

I tend to use the start date as my daily listing. Anything that has a start date at all is either today or in the future (effectively making it a tickler file).

Then I've set a perspective to look in the context view, with a Grouping = "start", Sorting = "project", Status filter = "available", and any flag state.

In trying to stay with the GTD methodology, I try to use due date for drop-dead things (sometimes I cheat a bit). My "plan" perspective uses Planning mode and what OF offers well: Project Filter: Remaining; Grouping: Next Review; Sorting: Next Review; Status Filter: Remaining. My "do" perspective uses Context mode: Context Filter: Active; Grouping: Start; Sorting: Project; Status Filter: Available. This is really powerful, and I got it from:

http://teresatorres.com/simplify/200...g-my-strategy/

Of course you can alway check your 'due' or 'due soon' perspectives as well.

That all said (and I realize I'm veering into the iPhone OF area), I just now tagged some things I want to do away from home today. I opened my 'to go, due soon' perspective (my 'to go' includes my errands parent context and all its children), then entered (using TextExpander) "edate", which for me gives: "20091031" (for today, that is), into specific actions. (You could also use insert date, built into OF.) Then in iOF, I search on that, which is easy to type, and I see only things I *really* need/want to do while on my errands run.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2009-10-31 at 06:02 PM..