The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Filling a custom shape? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've created a very simple custom rectangle using two lines: one horizontal line to create the bottom of the rectangle, and another line with two midpoints to create the top and sides of the rectangle. I used two lines because I want the top corners to be rounded while the bottom corners remain square. The two lines are connected at their endpoints to create a closed shape (see attached).

I now want to fill the shape with a color, but Omnigraffle doesn't offer me that option because it handles it as two lines instead of an actual closed shape. Grouping the lines into one object still does not allow me to fill the shape. Is there a way to accomplish this? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-20 at 9.36.51 AM.png
Views:	908
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	2782  

See the last post in this thread:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=19578
It describes a method for making a closed shape with different corner radii.

Last edited by john.gersh; 2013-04-25 at 09:04 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gersh View Post
See the last post in this thread:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...ounded+corners
It describes a method for making a closed shape with different corner radii.
Thank you for the information. That works, but with limitations. I was hoping to have a closed (and fill-able) shape with a black outline, filled with a different color linear blend. Trying to do that using the method you referenced gives the attached result. Filling with a solid color works so long as you make the outline the same color as the fill. Otherwise, it gives a similar effect. It's unfortunate that Omnigraffle, given its impressive capabilities in other respects, can't simply recognize a closed shape and fill it as desired. Even the old archaic versions of MS Paint did this, and did it well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-22 at 11.13.04 AM.png
Views:	862
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	2785  

It looks like you left out the Union Shapes step.

Ah ha! I assumed that union was the same as grouping. That works perfectly. You are a genius! Thanks a million for your help!