The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Yikes! Problem syncing multiple users with OS X Server Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I set up our OS X Server (latest Leopard) as a WebDAV site for our office to use with their OF DeskTops and iPhones. Seemed to work just fine with mine so I sent out word for others to test it. Low and behold the next time I synced my DeskTop I got the "Databases are Very Different" message. I plunged ahead anyway and sure enough I got somebody else's data into my desktop.

It looks to me as though my database must have been overwritten by one of my colleagues.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to correct this problem.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jputnam View Post
I set up our OS X Server (latest Leopard) as a WebDAV site for our office to use with their OF DeskTops and iPhones. Seemed to work just fine with mine so I sent out word for others to test it. Low and behold the next time I synced my DeskTop I got the "Databases are Very Different" message. I plunged ahead anyway and sure enough I got somebody else's data into my desktop.

It looks to me as though my database must have been overwritten by one of my colleagues.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to correct this problem.

Thanks,
You need to set-up a separate storage location on the server for each user. If the users keep their data on the server (i.e. home directories) then you could keep the data there and have a symbolic link to that directory. Alternatively set an A record up for each user and a separate directory on the OSX control panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Harris View Post
You need to set-up a separate storage location on the server for each user. If the users keep their data on the server (i.e. home directories) then you could keep the data there and have a symbolic link to that directory. Alternatively set an A record up for each user and a separate directory on the OSX control panel.
I would like to use Home Directories on OS X Server. I've tried to set up a symbolic link using an alias of a home directory in my WebDocuments folder but I get the following error when I try to sync:

The osxserver.com server returned "bad request" (400) in response to a request to "PROPFIND /userhomedirectory/OmniFocus.ofocus".

An example of how to set this up would be much appreciated.

An alias isn't going to work because Apache doesn't understand aliases. It does understand symlinks (similar to aliases but with some subtly-different design goals).

Symlinks are created from the command line in Terminal like this: "ln -s <source> <destination>". For example (depending on your configuration): "ln -s /Users/jputnam/webdav /Library/WebServer/Documents/webdav/jputnam" - that would create the file "/Library/WebServer/Documents/webdav/jputnam" that is a symlink to "/Users/jputnam/webdav". (Make sure that the latter already exists. And is a folder.)

However, I suspect that security issues are going to keep that from working - apache probably isn't going to want to vend stuff from outside its documents folder that readily. And/or ownership and permissions on the folder that you link to will probably need to match certain expectations. I'm guessing that you will need to do some apache configuration to accomplish what you're trying to. But I'm far from an apache expert and I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
An alias isn't going to work because Apache doesn't understand aliases. It does understand symlinks (similar to aliases but with some subtly-different design goals).

Symlinks are created from the command line in Terminal like this: "ln -s <source> <destination>". For example (depending on your configuration): "ln -s /Users/jputnam/webdav /Library/WebServer/Documents/webdav/jputnam" - that would create the file "/Library/WebServer/Documents/webdav/jputnam" that is a symlink to "/Users/jputnam/webdav". (Make sure that the latter already exists. And is a folder.)

However, I suspect that security issues are going to keep that from working - apache probably isn't going to want to vend stuff from outside its documents folder that readily. And/or ownership and permissions on the folder that you link to will probably need to match certain expectations. I'm guessing that you will need to do some apache configuration to accomplish what you're trying to. But I'm far from an apache expert and I could be wrong.
Well, I figured it out. Using OS X Server Admin, Workgroup manager and the Finder:

1. In the Finder create a new folder/directory in WebDocuments (I called it omni)
2. Again in the Finder create a folder for each omnifocus user inside the omni folder.
3. In Workgroup Manager create a new group called omni and put your omnifocus users in the group.
4. In Server Admin go to File Sharing, go to the omni directory. In the Permissions window, add the Group “omni” and set the permissions to Read & Write and set the permissions on “-www” to Read & Write.
5. Still in File Sharing Permissions, select each user’s file in turn, add the user to permissions in each corresponding directory and set the permission to read & write for the user and for -www.

That’s it. Now users can sync to https:///omni/ They’ll need their server username and password to authenticate.

Doing all this worked for me.