The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects - No Contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Of course, I am brand new to Omni Focus and have not had the time to fully read the manual. However, I've noticed that all of my projects show up in the "no context" list. Do we really have to assign contexts to projects?

No, it isn't necessary to assign contexts to your projects. If you don't like seeing them in the context view, you can either adjust your view to only show Available actions (only projects with nothing left to do will appear), or use View->Hide Parent Items in Context Mode to suppress them.

If you don't wish to hide parent items in general, and have a project which will be empty but you still don't wish to see and don't want to assign a context to it, you can create a dummy action with a start date a few years in the future in that project. The presence of an uncompleted action will keep the project from showing up in a list of Available items, and the future start date will keep the dummy action from showing up in your lists of Available items.

If you want some background on why projects behave this way in the context list, this thread discusses it: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=20039

Hey whpalmer4....thanks for taking the time to consider my question as fundamental as it was. You took care of the problem. I went with the View -> Hide Parent Items suggestion. Thanks again !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts0303 View Post
Hey whpalmer4....thanks for taking the time to consider my question as fundamental as it was. You took care of the problem. I went with the View -> Hide Parent Items suggestion. Thanks again !!
Happy to help! I figure that answering some fundamental questions leads to a positive experience for you while getting started with OmniFocus, whereas if you get frustrated and switch to something else, you're unlikely to ask really interesting questions down the road :-)