The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Opening app opens new outline Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been experiencing this unwanted behavior with Mountain Lion 10.8. OmniOutliner always opens a new untitled document when launched regardless of how it is launched (directly or by opening a document) or its state when last quit (windows open or not).
Deleting the preference file, as suggested in this thread, did not resolve the issue.
I went into System Preferences / General and cleared the check box for "Close windows when quitting an application" Refer to the attached image. The notation for the check box says "When selected, open documents and windows will not be restored when you re-open an application." While this is confusing and non-intuitive, it does resolve the OO3 behavior issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prefs.png
Views:	557
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	2494  

OmniOutliner Pro 3.10.5 always opens a new outline when the application is launched or its dock icon is clicked.
This is EXTREMELY ANNOYING and UNWANTED BEHAVIOR.
Come on, Omni, listen to your paying customers. I've been purchasing your applications for years and I DON'T WANT THIS!
Restore the preference to stop this. Why are you taking user preferences away?
Can you afford to lose customers because of your arrogance? Keep it up and I will stop supporting you.

Sorry for the trouble. We've been trying to figure out what's causing this for some people but have not had any luck reproducing the behavior yet. If you wouldn't mind doing some experimenting for us, what happens if you:
-Type something in the new document that opens
-Quit the app (are you prompted to save that file?)
-Relaunch
Is that unsaved file restored with the text you typed? If so, did a new blank document also open?

Thanks

I just tried what you suggest. If I quit the document, I get prompted to save the file. But if I quit the app, I do not, and the next time I open the app, the text I just typed in the unsaved document appears.

My problem is I don't want an new document to open every time I start OmniOutliner. I then have to close it and go to File/Open to elect the file I want. I'd rather it just gave me the Open File prompt without the new document.

This is the same for me. Working on a document, quit app, start-up app and i get the blank template. I did your suggestion, typing into the new blank, quit, asked to save, opens a blank on start-up.
Using 3.10.5 in mountain lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbar View Post
I just tried what you suggest. If I quit the document, I get prompted to save the file. But if I quit the app, I do not, and the next time I open the app, the text I just typed in the unsaved document appears.

My problem is I don't want an new document to open every time I start OmniOutliner. I then have to close it and go to File/Open to elect the file I want. I'd rather it just gave me the Open File prompt without the new document.
That sounds like the expected behavior and not what russcus and some others are describing. We do have plans to improve this experience in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal.k View Post
This is the same for me. Working on a document, quit app, start-up app and i get the blank template. I did your suggestion, typing into the new blank, quit, asked to save, opens a blank on start-up.
Using 3.10.5 in mountain lion
Right, but does it also open a blank document when you launch the app by double-clicking on an OmniOutliner document? As is, you will always get a blank document if the OS is either set to close all documents on quit, or you close all windows before quitting.

We have some people reporting they always get a blank document even when other documents are restored on launch or they launch by double-clicking a document. That should not be happening.

No if i double click on a saved document it opens that document, it doesnt open the blank page and the saved one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
Right, but does it also open a blank document when you launch the app by double-clicking on an OmniOutliner document? As is, you will always get a blank document if the OS is either set to close all documents on quit, or you close all windows before quitting.

And I thought I was the only one around here who gets angry about bad UI in OG programs that takes years to fix. I guess not. It's comforting that a few other customers care about clean, smart UI as much as I do.

rogbar, zts-it, cconstantine, strudel, russcus, Cal.k, you're not alone. I have the same problem, too. And everyone is right: for the customers who have commented on this issue in this thread, it is INCREDIBLY frustrating for us.

I love OG, and buy (and use) a half dozen of their programs, some every day, but I've learned the following over the years: the simplest, silliest, smallest UI problem can take years for OG to fix.

The bigger problems take 3-5 years to fix. :-)

The mods are very cordial, and we should thank them for that. But the reality is that these things take time to fix at OG. If it was a really small-house developer (like one or two people), you might get some action quickly (like in a week). But at OG, it is now a historical fact that UI user battles are legendary, waged over the period of years for many of their programs. We battle it out with the mods and programmers, Ken steps in to bring peace to the negotiations, and another year passes. That's just how it goes.

I've learned to accept the situation, although it's certainly something I'm not happy about. What can I do? I can't walk away, because no one else makes such great programs.

I put my vote in for going back to the previous option of giving the user the option of specifying the opening state. I would prefer to have it open with last docs open.

I kept looking for the preference and finally consulted the forum to see that it was removed.