The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

5/16 OmniFocus Alpha Notes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
You almost sound surprised by these statements? Maybe I am misinterpreting the tone.

I'm saying it may not be about the amount of tasks you have, but about how much you are changing the tasks. How many new tasks are being made and moved and deleted. How much objects are being created, used & destroyed. With the applescript I modified I was doing a lot of creating and deleting, and within an hour the app slowed to a crawl. Even when I only had 5 tasks. After restarting the app, it was much snappier.

My guess is there is some process that cleans up the logs or frees up memory or something when the app is restarted.

But the real monster that is slowing it down is addition of OmniObjectMeter in the code right now. This is doing a lot of logging to try and catch bugs and inefficiencies in the code.
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=3580
http://www.omnigroup.com/developer/omniobjectmeter/

And yes... restarting the app after using it for a while does make it run faster... for a bit.

Want to test this for yourself?

Run this applescript. (you don't have to know anything about it to run it, just hit the play key in the script editor)

It will generate 5 projects, 5 contexts and 50 tasks.
Then delete all but 1 task 1 project and 1 context.
still runs slow
now quit and restart OF.
Notice a change in speed?
Attached Files
File Type: zip My Speed Test.zip (10.7 KB, 511 views)

Last edited by SpiralOcean; 2007-05-20 at 07:59 PM..

i see what you mean, spiralocean. i'll run the script once i get my invite.

btw, i still wonder what version of omnifocus is running in ethan's screencast, because it seems to be working fine (not slow, mind you)

could have been an earlier version where they didn't have OmniObjectMeter turned on. Or he could have just started the application.

You do know that these are alpha versions... right? These versions, including Ethan's screencast are not complete full versions. They are full of bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean
could have been an earlier version where they didn't have OmniObjectMeter turned on.
Exactly. Ethan posted his video on May 15, and we didn't add OmniObjectMeter allocation tracking (which can be very slow) until May 16.

We're all looking forward to being able to turn that off again, so please be sure to run the latest release and send in every crash report! (If you don't run the latest release, you'll be sending in reports for crashes we've already fixed.) Thank you!