The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Other WebDAV
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do I keep Omnifocus from filling up my webDAV trash? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been happily using Omnifocus and syncing it between 3 computers via a WebDAV available through my university (running xythos). My problem is this: 3 computers syncing all the time means a lot of syncs, which Omnifocus handles perfectly but there's one problem: the Omnifocus sync data eventually gets large and sends older files to the trash, which then fills up a 1 GB quota I have for my WebDAV, and then nothing syncs anymore. Unlike a lot of end users, I don't feel I need the trash on my webDAV to serve as backup/archiving, since I have 3 working copies on my machines and 2 archival copies on different drives that are updated twice a day (I'm a bit of a data-loss freak). I spoke to the IT department and they were willing to disable the trash function on my account through the xythos software. Now, whenever I delete a normal file it completely disappears so I don't have to worry about setting up a cron job to run a script to delete my remote trash (a rather inelegant solution). That said, my omnifocus backups continue to end up in newly-created "trash" folders (note: my original trash was called "Trash"). My question is this: does this happen because Omnifocus uses a different call than the equivalent of delete or rm that I use, or does Omnifocus specifically look for a trash folder and create one if it doesn't find one? Is there a way to turn this off, or do I have to beg the IT department for a symlink called "trash" that points to /dev/null?

As far as I know, we don't create or use a Trash folder, and I've never seen one appear on my iDisk. I think this is a xythos issue of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
As far as I know, we don't create or use a Trash folder, and I've never seen one appear on my iDisk. I think this is a xythos issue of some sort.
Brian is correct: OmniFocus simply executes a WebDAV "DELETE" command for things it wants to get rid of, it doesn't try to move them into a recoverable trash folder.

Thanks Ken & Brian! I'll let the IT folks know that their disabling of the trash function was incomplete.