The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Huge Annoyance with Bookmark Folders Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey folks,
I'm giving Omniweb a try to see if it's worth my $10, and so far, I'm very impressed. That said, there is one aspect of the browse that could kill the deal. I personally keep a row of 9 bookmark folders lining the top of my browser, and on a daily basis, I may visit any random combination of bookmarks from those folders. Therefore, I find it extremely annoying that in OmniWeb, once you open a bookmark folder, you then have to close it and open another one, rather than gliding your mouse across the row and having the folders open automatically for you. In Camino, that caused me to accidentally move folders into other folders, and that one aspect was enough to negate all other advantages of the browser and make me stick to Firefox. Is there a way to change this aspect of OmniWeb? Thanks so much.

Stephen

I'm not sure if there is a way. However, an alternative might be to shift your thinking a bit. Instead of using bookmark folders, use workspaces. So you'd have 9 workspaces. In each workspace, have all the pages you wish to visit and take a snapshot.

I do this for any site I visit frequently. I only use bookmarks for long-term safe keeping and/or sharing with other machines.

that's only a realistic solution for those with a smaller ammount of bookmarks. also, it's not quite the same given the sites in the folders aren't necessarily being visited on a regular basis.

@spalkot: you and i are in the same boat.

Ahh....thank you my friend. Any given day, I may wish to visit the local soccer team's site, get a Rachael Ray recipie, see the latest Mac rumors and take a peek at Pitchfork. The next day, I may wish to read the latest Dvorak, the local political blogs, and check out Woot! I'm not saying workspaces don't have their functionality, but for the kind of random surfing I do based on a gazillion bookmarks, I'd have to create a bunch of RAM-hogging workspaces and constantly switch between them, when its much easier just to use my bookmarks bar. And seriously, I don't see what the "problem" is by having folders open as you move your mouse across the screen. It's just an unnecessary step to have to keep clicking. Maybe some power user can explain why it is a problem to be able to glide your mouse across the bookmarks folders once you've opened one. Please. I'd like to hear.

Stephen

I can't see any advantage to the way it currently works myself, but a simple way to overcome this until OmniGroup elect to change the way it works now (if they ever do or can) would be to have a single master folder in the bookmarks bar with all your other bookmark folders nested in it. One click to open the master folder then scrub up and down through the folders to your heart's content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalkot
Ahh....thank you my friend. Any given day, I may wish to visit the local soccer team's site, get a Rachael Ray recipie, see the latest Mac rumors and take a peek at Pitchfork. The next day, I may wish to read the latest Dvorak, the local political blogs, and check out Woot!
Stephen
I'm new to OW, but so far I like it. If I'm understanding correctly, you want a specific group of sites to open at once? I've got several folders on my bookmark bar that I just Cmd-click on the folder and all the links in that folder open at once. I have my daily software sites open first, then I close them and go to my news forums. You can also select Open in New Tabs and it opens all items in that folder. Hope that helps.

is there a way to make a folder display an icon in the bookmarksbar instead of the foldericon+foldername combo OW displays there by default? i'm looking to achieve something that looks like the history icon in safari, that, when clicked, displays the contents of the folder full of bookmarks that JKT reccomended above.

Short answer - nope, you can't remove the folder icon.

However, you can just enter a space for its name to just have the folder icon itself without any visible label. Or you could use an alternative label such as  (option-shift-k) for the folder:

Last edited by JKT; 2006-11-17 at 02:51 AM..