The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: task prioritization! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The point is that multi-colored flags are an obvious way to mark variable task priority while staying very close to present OF functionality, and their implementation in Mail would be an excellent and non-controversial model. You're right that I didn't remember when they were added to Mail: I think it's because multi-color flags are so obviously correct that I probably thought that they should have been available for a long time, and confused “should have” with “were” (I hate when that happens).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshenaut View Post
When red-flagging was implemented in OF in the early days, I'll bet there was a discussion among developers about whether to add multi-colored flags. Evidently, a decision was made to just have the single red one. Yet, if multi-colored flags (red orange yellow green blue purple gray) had been chosen, mimicking Apple Mail, and sort-by-flag sorted them as Mail does, with red as highest and gray as lowest flag value, I would have a further, multi-part bet: no one would now be asking to have that capability removed; many would just be using the highest priority red flag and none of the others, just as now; many others would use flag color to allow priority-tagging their tasks; and this entire discussion about whether or not to f*king *allow* people to prioritize tasks would not exist.
First, blatantly masked base language does not give power to your statment.

Further and in response to your assertions, I speculate flaging was a solution to the choosing priority actions from a condensed context list. I do not believe as an application born to assist in implementing the GTD method would have considered the use of multi-colored flags. However, in both of our cases we are unaware of the facts contributed to this decision. I do, however, disagree with your assertions of the importance of flag color prioritization especially within an application designed to assist users to implement the GTD method.

You posit your opinion on flagging and priority identification as a basic fuction for your workflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshenaut View Post
My world exists for the most part without specific time/date deadlines, yet there are clear priorities and overall, higher priority things have to get done before lower priority things. Just using the existing flagging mechanism is very good; without it, OF would be nearly useless for me. Adding the completely standard (in Mail) system of seven flag colors corresponding to priorities would make it even more useful.
It is a distinct difference that David Allen saw GTD as separate from traditional time management philosophies because it did not use a pre-determined priority system. The reliability of a priority based system breaks down upon adding new "important" tasks to the users immediate environment. (e.g. Priority one is now priority two). This is fine with a few actions, but as has been mentioned here of action numbers estimated in the 100's or 1000's, this does not equate to practical with making such adjustments across a vast number of actions. The use of the GTD system allows for priorities, but only once context, duration, and energy level have been determined and at that point only. If any of the variables change (e.g. context) then so does the priority and the old priority identification should be replaced by the current. The point is the context system makes for a more flexible system to identify priority at the moment.

I for one do not agree that tagging and multi-color flagging bring value to a GTD application. Others have opposing opinions and that is fine. Time management should be something that works for the individual. Even with this statement, if GTD or OmniFocus does not work for your specific workflow - why use it? I would rather you support an application which offers non-GTD features than asssert many users of a GTD application want non-GTD features. I for one do not want tagging or flagging taking up development resources for the Omni Group team, especially ones that go against the heart of David Allen's GTD method.

While I consider myself primarily a GTD practitioner, and don't pine for tags and priorities (I've posted numerous workarounds over the years involving duration estimates and the notes field which largely suffice for me when I do need to avail myself of such things), it is worth noting that the Omni Group does not see OmniFocus as a pure GTD application, considering the language on the product page:
Quote:
Perfect for the Getting Things Done® system, but flexible enough for any task management style, OmniFocus helps you work smarter by giving you powerful tools for staying on top of all the things you need to do.
It's natural to want them not spending their oversubscribed development resources on features that won't benefit you, but it's pretty clear that they are willing to step beyond the confines of GTD if they think it will help a significant body of customers. To the extent that doing so boosts sales, that's a good thing, within reason — healthy sales means plenty of revenue to fund ongoing development. I don't think they are going to forget who brought them to the dance.

I enjoyed the "blatantly masked base language" in your "statment" [sic]; it shows how strongly you feel on the subject.

I would also like multiple priorities to be available, as part of my job involves supporting a body of users who feed me support requests with different priorities (even though they have the same context in my system). I shall be sending feedback to The Omni Group to request this.

When told by the GTD clergy that OmniFocus is "a GTD application", then I am always reminded of the statement on the project page (thanks to whpalmer4 for pointing it out). As far as I can remember, having used OmniFocus since before it was released, The Omni Group has never claimed that OmniFocus is a pure GTD solution. Adding the same colour-coded flags available in the current OS X Mail client would (I hope) not be too difficult to implement and would make many people happy.

Personally, I don't care whether it's colours, numbers, symbols or whatever; I'd just like some means of distinguishing action items which have the same project and context but have some other quality that requires them to be marked out in some way.

If the GTD clergy do not like this functionality, then they need only to ignore it: it's not as if some of the One True GTD functionality is being taken away.

Glad to see that so many people see the necessity for another dimension to select the best task to work on: coloured flags, priorities, energy level, day of the week, type of bread you ate in the morning, fun factor of the task, etc.

Post your use case to them via Help -> Send Feedback, and OmniGroup will Do The Right Thing(tm) at The Right Time(tm). This forum is not used as a valuable source of feedback it seems.

Um, whatever happened to this?

Quote:
Ken Case
Omni

2008-06-16, 11:42 AM
As I recently mentioned in the Tags thread, our plan all along has been to allow people to create their own columns of metadata, which they can use however they want: with generic tags, or with specific columns for priority, people, etc. (We have this capability in OmniPlan, OmniOutliner, and OmniGraffle.) We just didn't have time to do it for 1.0, and we won't for 1.5 (which has to focus on synchronization so it can be ready to synchronize with the iPhone).

Hopefully in 1.7.
Last edited by Ken Case; 2009-03-10 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Bumping the targeted version; hope springs eternal!

It's still Spring(ing) in the Southern Hemisphere, isn't it? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHibma View Post
Glad to see that so many people see the necessity for another dimension to select the best task to work on: coloured flags, priorities, energy level, day of the week, type of bread you ate in the morning, fun factor of the task, etc.

Post your use case to them via Help -> Send Feedback, and OmniGroup will Do The Right Thing(tm) at The Right Time(tm). This forum is not used as a valuable source of feedback it seems.
Not an option for me because I'm not purchasing it until it has this feature. And I won't purchase in anticipation of a "planned" feature because history has shown their plans 'of go astray (or at least take much longer than expected as shown in the next post)...

d

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesd View Post
Not an option for me because I'm not purchasing it until it has this feature. And I won't purchase in anticipation of a "planned" feature because history has shown their plans 'of go astray (or at least take much longer than expected as shown in the next post)...

d
You can accomplish the same by sending email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com, no need to use the app.

I think the value proposition of an Omni software purchase needs to take into account the stream of updates and fixes one gets in the fullness of time. That said, I also feel quite strongly that you shouldn't buy any software product if there is a crucial feature missing at the time of purchase, and you don't have a contract protecting you against a failure to deliver it. This may require some critical thinking about exactly which features are crucial. In the case of a developing market where none of the offerings include everything you need but you are still forced to make a purchase decision, "ya pays your money and ya takes your chances!" :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesd View Post
There is a plan? I asked them for a keyboard shortcut for fullscreen mode, but no response on when that is going to be implemented for 6 months. For a company selling a time management tool like OF they seem to be not very good at providing this kind of feedback.

I spent $250 on OF & OG Mac, OF iPhone. I am extremely hesitant to spend the $15 on OF iPad, or $100+ on OP Mac. So, lost revenue, OmniGroup.