The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature I Want the Most (new next action reminder) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
(I know the ninjas like to see features requested via email, but I'm curious about feedback from forum users. I'll send this via email as well.)

First of all, I'm loving OmniFocus, but there is one particular feature that would smooth out my workflow:

---
After marking the last remaining task in a project as completed, I would like to be asked by the program whether I would like to

a) create a next action for the project
b) mark the project completed
c) do nothing.
---

I know some people would hate this, but having this as an option would be very helpful to me (and I imagine some others). It would certainly be "off" by default.

The particular use case I'm dealing with is when I mark a task as done from within the context view. I don't notice that I don't have a next action for the project until I do a review of my projects.

I'm thinking that a version of the quick input panel would pop up if there were no actions left in the project, and I could add a new action to the project (or mark the project as completed, or do nothing) without leaving the context view.

I have a feeling that this has been discussed before, but a quick search of the forums didn't bring up any results. Ken Case mentioned that 1.6 will bring a "autocomplete when children are complete" feature, but for my workflow changing the feature on a per-project basis would be a bit of overkill, and it wouldn't deal with the "I want to be reminded that this is the last remaining action on this project" issue.

I'd love to get folks' perspective on why this would our wouldn't be a good idea. (By the way, a similar function in the iPhone app would also be great.)

Last edited by jagordon; 2009-02-04 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: Vague Title :)

This has been discussed before and is a hot topic. Probably won't get to many posts back to this thread.

I am a proponent of said improvement. The more people who submit this to the ninjas, the more chance it has of being completed.

Thanks, SpiralOcean.

I also got a reply from support saying that this feature is popular and being considered, which makes me happy.

That's good news jagordon. Here's hoping for a surface. :-)

I agree this would be a nice feature. In the meantime I use Curt's verify next action script as part of my morning scrub.

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~clifton/software.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrump View Post
I agree this would be a nice feature. In the meantime I use Curt's verify next action script as part of my morning scrub.

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~clifton/software.html
Curt's script handles an important case that none of the proposed changes will: a project that is empty from the start!

This is almost necessary.

ex. I'm a waiter at a restaurant, and do some ad design for them on the side in Pages. My boss calls and tells me the specs for what he wants, I throw them into a project. I run through my contexts later, doing what he asked, and e-mail him a link to iwork.com to check it out. I unintentionally complete the project in the process. Later, when he sends me feedback, I can't find the project -- because I was in the process of working, I wasn't in 'planning' mode, and forgot that the project would be marked as completed even though I had just finished what I consider the first phase.

Easy answer: plan all my projects fully from the get-go (not going to happen, it would be ideal but I'm not perfect), or turn off the option in preferences (which isn't feasible for me either, certain projects like doing my laundry weekly used to always disappear because I would "complete" all the actions in it, and the project itself wouldn't complete, so it couldn't repeat, and I would never get reminders to do my laundry as a result).