The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Making style context specific Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Has anyone sorted out a way to make styles context specific?

For example, I use a context called 'Pending' for things that are, well, pending. It has a number of sub-contexts: wife, response, delivery, assistant. So, if I've sent an email to someone and the next action for a project is to get their response, when I send the email, I change the context from 'Email' to 'Pending: Response.' Or, if I've ordered a package, I'll create a next action which is 'receive package XXX tracking no YYY' with the context 'Pending: Delivery.'

In most instances, things in the pending column are given a due date. Often, I need the response by a certain date to the email or I will re-ask. Or the expected delivery date of a package...

Now, I organize each of my big projects via folders which often are full of projects which in some cases have parent tasks with lots of children tasks. It's what seems to work for me these days.

Also, I have a style set up that if a task is due soon, it is in orange text which I really like.

So, the result of this set up is that when I'm looking at a folder or a single project, anything that is due today is highlighted orange, whether the list is a SAL or NAL.

Now, I'd love to be able to view all my tasks but have NA that are due today not be the same color as available actions. Likewise, I'd love it to be able to make anything in the Pending context not the same color as due today. Essentially, the color coding is useful, but I'd like to differentiate between things that are due today that I can actually do, and things that are due today that I can't due. All whilst looking at things in Project view. And, along the same lines, when I'm looking at a list of actions in a sequential list, even if an action is due today, I'd prefer the style of 'not available' to trump the style of ' due soon.'

Any thoughts?

We have some feature requests open on ways to extend the style system. (Without making all the interactions/combinations confusing or hard to decipher, of course!)

If you email the support ninjas, they can attach you to the existing requests (and file new ones) as needed. That lets the team know which changes customers are looking to see added to the app. Thanks!