The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

question on wireless syncing in OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
[apologies if this question has already been addressed, if so I missed it in my quick scan of the forums]

Is the syncing between my Mac desktop and my iphone wireless and automatic? Or do I need to wifi, and do I need to do anything to make it happen?

I currently use Dropkick, which syncs fabulously/instantly/wirelessly. But has very limited features.

Thanks!

P.S. I'd love any suggestions for alternatives that offer more than DropKick but don't nearly require (what appears to be) the intense investment with OmiFocus.

I've started the 14 day free trial of OmniFocus, and my immediate reaction was that the program has way too many features and way more of a learning curve. The context thing is not useful, as I always have my iphone or laptop with me. And the lack of tags seem troubling....

Welcome to the forums! For a good overview of OmniFocus' approach to sync, check the "Synchronizing between Macs and mobile devices" page in the app's help menu material.

Contexts are a pretty useful feature once you grasp them - for example, in a meeting with a coworker I can pull out my phone, look at that person's context, and be reminded of the four things across three different projects that I need to discuss with them. It's possible to do with a flat list, but a lot harder.

That said, if you really don't have any use for contexts, there are a number of other to-do/productivity apps that take a simpler approach. (Folks that use OmniFocus tend to have task/project lists of a size that the other apps struggle with.) Off the top of my head, Things, Remember the Milk, and Toodledo are products that folks seem to enjoy using; I'm sure there are others.

Hope this helps!