The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Secure Mac-iPhone Sync Options Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a requirement to sync a single Mac and an iPhone.

I've started using the Omni Sync facility but am having second thoughts since I'd rather not have my data "out of my hands", so I have some questions.

How can I get my current data stored in the Omni Sync service deleted if/when I want?

Based on the assumption that I don't use Omni Sync what's the next best choice for my needs? Bonjour I assume?

Assuming I'm correct then how secure is Bonjour? For example is the communication between the Mac and iPhone encrypted or not? Also if I have bonjour enabled on my Mac what protection is there from some-other device connecting to my Mac to access my OminFocus data?

Thanks in advance

You can delete your data off the Omni Sync server any time you wish, although they'll still have backups containing it for up to 6 months, and it is not encrypted on their disk. Personally, I think their precautions are sufficient for most who are not contractually bound, and as someone mentioned elsewhere, even when you are working with sensitive data, your actions may not be. You can read their privacy policy here: http://www.omnigroup.com/support/privacy

To delete your data, just mount http://sync.omnigroup.com/<user> from your Mac's Finder, then delete the files. You may have to try "sync1", "sync2", etc. instead of "sync" due to a bug (present in Snow Leopard, not sure about Lion).

If you don't use the Omni Sync server, Bonjour is an option, or running your own WebDAV server. If you use Bonjour, there's a password set on the Mac when you configure the Bonjour service inside OmniFocus which is needed to access the data.

Hi whpalmer4, thanks for your advice.
I didn't realise I could simply 'connect' to my data :-)
I may give Bonjour a go then.
Thanks again.