The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Secure sites graphics often missing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Mysteriously the secure site problem I was experiencing with WebKit browsers no longer makes https sites impossible to access. I will get a "certificate not valid" warning (even though Gecko browsers have no such warning) but at least can access the sites.

Now I noticed that after accessing the sites, however, many of the page graphics do not appear. For example, Apple's discussion board will be entirely blank save for text. Amazon, too, will not display graphics--even the login button that is clicked after entering username and password.

Any ideas what is going on here, both with the certificate issue and the browser (suddenly able to access sites again but unable to display graphics on those webpages)? BTW, graphics will display for some secure pages.

Thanks in advance.

I came searching for an answer to that same problem. If anyone knows what is causing it and has a work around I would very much appreciate it.

This problem is indeed strange. On the Apple boards, some users re-installed their OS to solve the initial problem with certificates (something I'm not interested in at this point--especially if 10.4.9 will be coming out soon); others turned off certificate verification in Keychain.

I would like to know what's causing this, too, especially since it does not affect a majority of users. Oh, I also had issues with the iTunes store as well, namely, not being able to purchase music since the verification process was also messed up because of the certificate issue.

What are your adblocking settings? Do you get place holder images in OW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
No. I thought of this, too, Forrest and tried hitting "download images." But nothing happens; the same thing can be duplicated in all WebKit browsers (Safari and Shiira). For example, on the Vonage site, too, I just get an empty page, save for text. With Safari the image icons do appear, however.

Is it that the images are blocked because the certificate has not deemed a secure site safe due to lack of verification?

Whatever the reason, I prefer to use Firefox only with doing research with Zotero. For everything else, there's OmniWeb.

Sounds like the issuer doesn't have much ubiquity.

Quote:
Sounds like the issuer doesn't have much ubiquity.
These are major sites visited and they worked properly before the late November security update; it's a problem with WebKit rather than ubiquity, I think. With "best attempt" selected, graphics will display normally again, but security, I assume, is also diminished.

Quote:

I was getting place holder frames in OW when I would try to visit one of these sites. Since I have only owned this particular computer for a couple of days I went ahead and did the clean install and loaded OW 5.5.3 and all seems good so far. Well at least in that regard. I will start a new post on the other issue though so as not to hijack this one.