The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync!. Please fail quietly. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I created a webdav server at home on my local network.

I can sync in both directions, and can see all my changes so far.

But when I am away from my local network OmniFocus complains, it pops up a dialog every 60 seconds with a 404 error.

Can you please implement something similar to the method Apple uses for Time Machine and simply change the sync icon to indicate the sync failed?

Or stop trying the server every 60 seconds.

PLEASE!

For those interested in setting up their own WebDav server I used these instructions.. http://www.gregwestin.com/webdav_for_ical.php

Compared to syncing problems others are having, this is of course a good problem to have right now, it certainly is true.

But I totally agree, this is driving me crazy -- I was working on OF on my laptop for an hour today off line -- and had to click out of this dialog box 60 times. But it would be great if this behavior goes away sooner rather than later!!

- Art

Last edited by otter; 2008-07-12 at 06:25 PM..

Well, you can turn off syncing in the settings on OmniFocus for iPhone when you're about to leave your local network, and then when you get back turn it back on -- It will remember the WebDAV address and initiate a sync at that point.

Two extra steps, but it will remove the annoyance when you're mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Well, you can turn off syncing in the settings on OmniFocus for iPhone when you're about to leave your local network, and then when you get back turn it back on -- It will remember the WebDAV address and initiate a sync at that point.

Two extra steps, but it will remove the annoyance when you're mobile.
I think you are talking about changing the sync settings to do "Nothing", represented by a pause icon on the sync settings page. If so this does not - for me - save the webdav settings. Each time I go back to sync with Webdav the server name has been changed to the default : https://www.example.com.

But you are right that would be an acceptable work-around in the short term.

This isn't occuring with on the iphone, it's occuring with OF 1.1 running on my laptop (any time it's out of wireless range).

Yes, you can turn off synching on the laptop, but it's definitely still a pain and makes it highly likely that it won't get turned back on due to forgetfulness, therefore undermining the sense of the trusted-ness of the system. All and all, it's true this would be less annoying than closing a dialog box every 60 seconds, but it's still a very sub-optimal solution. (Even more so if you have to re-configure the server each time as ucs308 is suggesting.)

Last edited by otter; 2008-07-12 at 08:21 PM..

Fix committed, it should show up in the next alpha build (within the next half hour or so).

Thank you very much for fixing that.

- Art