The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Monitoring an email folder for OF tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been scouring the forums and various search engines for a solution to this "problem," but I have come up empty.

First, here is what I understand:
  1. Apple Mail rules run only on incoming mail messages (unless run manually)
  2. You can email tasks to yourself with a +omnifocus email address (or your preferred set up) with an OF rule in place
  3. You can send emalis to the OF inbox at will with the menu item (or keyboard shortcut) if you like
  4. And, yes, for the emailing of tasks and such, I know my mac has to be on with Mail running for the rules to work

While that is all well and good if I'm at my Mac, those options do not work for me at all times. At work, I am on a PC, and a manage my personal/freelance items via my iPhone. I organize my email into three folders: 1. Actions (for to dos), 2. Pending (for items I've delegated or am waiting on a response), and 3. Archive (obviously archive). What I would like to happen is to have any email that I place in the "1. Actions" folder on my iPhone or in Gmail or whatever show up in my OmniFocus inbox. I understand that I could just forward the email to the +omnifocus email address that I have set up, but that's far too many clicks (or taps) than necessary.

What I would like to do:
  • If I receive an email that requires action, I would like to move it to my "1.Actions" folder
  • I would like to set up an alarm on my iCal at home that will trigger an AppleScript, Automator workflow, etc. to run at various times throughout the day.
  • The Applescript/Workflow/etc. would then check the "1. Actions" email folder for messages and then send them to the OmniFocus inbox (just as if I was sitting there hitting the "Send to OmniFocus inbox button myself on my mac)

To be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing with Applescript, and I've barely scratched the surface with Automator. I've copied and pasted and tried to reconfigure a bunch of the scripts out there to no avail. What I have tried:
  • Started a new Automator workflow
  • "Got" selected mailboxes (e.g., 1.Actions)
  • "Got" selected messages from mailbox
  • Run Applescript (default OF MailAction.scpt) <-- This is where I'm stuck

This all goes well until it hits the Applescript portion. I realized after running it a couple times this happened because I overwrote what initially showed up in the "Run Applescript" dialogue. However, due to the syntax, I can't just paste the OF default Applescript within the code that Automator provides/suggests with the (*Paste your code here*). A syntax error arises when you do this. As I mentioned, I do not know Applescript syntax.

I would imagine that I have no idea what I'm doing. Can anyone point me in the right direction -- an AppleScript tutorial for use with Mail, an Applescript syntax tutorial, let me know if I'm going in the wrong direction, etc.

Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thank you.