The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus & Mavericks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Yury, OmniFocus 1.10.5 is available from both the Mac App Store and direct from our website.

One thing I noticed since the first beta releases of Mavericks:

At least on my MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina display, OmniFocus forces the system to switch from using the integrated GPU to the discrete GPU. It means that OF consumes a lot of battery life and it shouldn't. Having to open/close OF every time (to save some battery life) is a bit annoying.

Xabier: some folks report that OmniFocus only asks for the discrete GPU to run software update. Maybe try changing that setting to Monthly (or off) and see if that avoids spinning up the discrete GPU.

If you do disable software update checking entirely, I recommend setting up a repeating action in some productivity application to remind you to check for updates manually. ;)

Lizard: Tried to disable Software Update. Not so lucky.

Now, OF is still triggering the discrete GPU when I call the Quick Entry panel.

I noticed it as well. Omnifocus is turning on the discrete GPU for me. It is odd, it only seems to do so when a specific action is performed, for example I can browse the lists of things in my inbox, but as soon as I click on the Menu (any of the menu entries) it immediately turns on the discrete GPU.

Not really a Mavericks issue, it was probably there before, but it is very evident with Mavericks as clicking on the battery/power icon highlights that Omnifocus is causing significant battery drain.

Also tried disable software update checking, didn't seem to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabier View Post
Lizard: Tried to disable Software Update. Not so lucky.

Now, OF is still triggering the discrete GPU when I call the Quick Entry panel.
I notice that pressing the sync button causes it to trigger the discrete GPU. When I launch OmniFocus, it's not using the discrete GPU, but as soon as I press the sync button it is. This is 100% reproducible so far. And once it starts using the discrete GPU, it seems to continue to until it is relaunched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave256 View Post
I notice that pressing the sync button causes it to trigger the discrete GPU. When I launch OmniFocus, it's not using the discrete GPU, but as soon as I press the sync button it is. This is 100% reproducible so far. And once it starts using the discrete GPU, it seems to continue to until it is relaunched.
I confirm it. I have to relaunch OF to stop it from using the discrete GPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabier View Post
I confirm it. I have to relaunch OF to stop it from using the discrete GPU.
Now the sync button is not always doing it, but once it starts using the discrete GPU, I do seem to need to relaunch it to get it to stop.

I've discussed this more with our engineers. It seems it's normal for apps to temporarily use the discrete GPU from time to time. OmniFocus' misbehavior is that once it starts using the discrete GPU, it doesn't let the system know when it's done with it.

We're investigating a fix. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I use attachments quite a bit, and I notice when I attach a file that I tagged under mavericks that the tags on the file are not synced. In other words on my laptop the file comes through fine, just no tags are attached. Any plans on supporting the syncing of attached files with tags associated?

Thanks

George