The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraphSketcher > OmniGraphSketcher for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Professor with Windows wants to edit graph Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey guys,

I made some economics graphs for a professor using omnigraph for ipad. Firstly, the product is really great ... intuitive to use and gets the job done. I sent them to my professor, who now wants the ability to edit them on his windows computer. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

If you send your professor a PDF from your iPad, he'll be able to open it in an illustration program like Adobe Illustrator ($$$) or Inkscape (free), but it will just be a bunch of lines, fills, and labels - it won't be the same as manipulating the graph in OmniGraphSketcher. That might be okay; it really depends on what he wants to do.

Would he be able to do stuff like copy and paste a line, or extend the length of a line pretty easily?

NM, answered my own question - thanks so much for your help!

It depends, honestly. I just played around with some curves in an exported PDF in Inkscape, and the experience (on a Mac at least) isn't great. Illustrator may do better.

Did your professor tell you what format he expects the graphs in normally so that he can edit them, or what application he wants to use? Maybe working backwards from there would be easier.

So the graphs are going to go in a powerpoint slide. Now he wants me to send him the graphs in a form that he can edit in a powerpoint slide.

i.e send him a powerpoint slide with the graph in it, that he can edit.

Is there anyway I can do this?

Last edited by rover2000; 2011-04-06 at 09:13 AM..

The only thing I can think of would be opening the exported PDF in your illustration program and then copy/pasting individual graph elements into a powerpoint slide. If you have a Mac, you could do this in OmniGraffle and Keynote, and then export from Keynote to .ppt.

I have no idea what the results would be like, and time-wise it may be faster just to re-draw or trace the graphs in Powerpoint, or to sit with your professor and make whatever edits he wants before re-exporting and using static graphs in the slides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_m View Post
The only thing I can think of would be opening the exported PDF in your illustration program and then copy/pasting individual graph elements into a powerpoint slide. If you have a Mac, you could do this in OmniGraffle and Keynote, and then export from Keynote to .ppt.

I have no idea what the results would be like, and time-wise it may be faster just to re-draw or trace the graphs in Powerpoint, or to sit with your professor and make whatever edits he wants before re-exporting and using static graphs in the slides.
Copy/pasting the individual graph elements work fine, except when I copy/paste the text it seems like it gets copied as an image? i.e I can't delete words etc. Do you get this too?

I don't think there's any way to get around that, unfortunately!

Alright, I think I have everything resolved, BUT, I copied this graph with axes and a curve, added my own text, it seemed perfect, but my professor complained that when he clicked on the curve, it disappeared. I don't have this problem on either of my computers, nor does one of my friends, but another friend did have it. Would someone have a look at my powerpoint slide and let me know what is happening? It would solve a problem! Thanks!