The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FR: OF sync to iCal with Leopard - an idea! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there

I am testing Leopard and specifically the iCal server at the moment. It occured to me that if you were able to specify a calender per context in OF you could have a context that links to a delegated calendar and could directly assign tasks to other people. Then when they completed it or updated it in their iCal, your next sync would pull back those changes.

Sorry if this is obvious to people its just something that occured to me today whilst testing todo's in iCal Server.

At the moment OF creates static calendars for each context you have (not very cleverly - I know still beta! - at the moment, if you have grouped contexts it cuts the group detail - can be confusing with similar context names in different context groups).

For this to work there would have to be an attribute for each Context detailing the iCal calendar to sync with. Doesn't sound too hard and might be handy for non Leopard issues as well. This also has the benefit that it all still sits within the current sync framework rather than having to talk to CalDav or transiting stuff via email etc.

This would be the perfect solution for task delegation in a Mac Office environment. Big, big ask. Any chance of seeing this before 1.0. This would be the feature that pushed OF from fringe tool to core business tool for us.

Thanks
Jason

in the current ical, if you publish a calendar, i don't think anyone else can edit it.

also, isn't it usually better to have that person report back to you? we're making personal lists, so the strength would be in personal accountability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot View Post
in the current ical, if you publish a calendar, i don't think anyone else can edit it.

also, isn't it usually better to have that person report back to you? we're making personal lists, so the strength would be in personal accountability.
Thanks Scot, but I wasn't talking about the current iCal, this indeed is read only and not CalDav based. I was talking about the Leopard version of iCal which is far more advanced. And with a small additional feature, or rather configuration option it would be possible for OF to take significant advantage of the new collaborative features.

I appreciate that this method does lose the personal touch in that once a task is delegated you will only see it in your iCal/OF until someone completes it and then its just like you ticked the box - it disappears. But on the other side, to be honest thats all I need. I have delegated the task, I just need it done. I can see that when my project shows the next task after a sync.

As I say to take advantage of the new platform I just need to be able to specify which context syncs with which calendar.

Jason

This is the one thing that I've been waiting for from OF for months! My main reason is that I only need the contexts that exist where I'm away from my computer and to be sync'd to iCal and then sync'd to my handheld.

The main problem that I have with the current 'all or nothing' sync is that I have several hundred tasks that I have to do in the context of sitting in front of my computer. I don't need these to be on my mobile or in iCal. In fact, having them there just clouds the water, to say nothing of the nearly 50 extraneous calendars that are being created (I'm a busy man - I have a lot of contexts). I need the much smaller set of tasks that are errand-type tasks that need to be done when away from my computer.

Currently, I am essentially manually filtering actions and doing dual entry and management of tasks - once in iCal and once in OF. I want to be able to specify that a particular context should be sync'd to a particular iCal calendar, that would be ideal. Additionally, if I don't configure a context to sync to a particular calendar, then it doesn't get sync'd.

Oh, and I've filed this via the 'Send Feedback' help link, and I'm just covering my bases here...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiikay View Post
I only need the contexts that exist where I'm away from my computer and to be sync'd to iCal and then sync'd to my handheld.
Some more iCal syncing options would be great. It would also be nice if new to-do items in iCal would be synced (or even copied and deleted) to the OmniFocus Inbox. I only keep them in iCal until I copy and paste into the OF Quick Entry window anyway. Or is there any way to bypass iCal completely and somehow sync directly with OF? Haha sorry maybe that would be really complicated.

Thanks!

John