The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SP5 won't finish crashing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
[I knew it was foolish to tempt fate by reporting SP4 was the Rock of Gibraltar. :o ]

For the second time since I started using SP5, ...

1. OmniWeb crashes.
2. CrashCatcher appears, and I fill in my report and send it.
3. OmniWeb remains on-screen, and I have to Force Quit to make it go away.

This time I noticed 100% CPU activity (via Cee Pee You). So I checked Activity Monitor, which showed OmniWeb and kernel_task each using 30-40% of the CPU, with kernel_task consuming 1.1 GB of virtual memory. After force quitting OmniWeb, kernel_task dropped back to its customary 4-7%.

I had SP5 crash once similarly... well, CC came up and I submitted it. Then went back to using OW for another day.

I've had sp5 bring down my whole system on launch (the dim curtain came down). Then it got stuck when I switched back from using Firefox, and I had to push the power button to reboot. That's just in the past two hours after I had no problems with sp1 to sp3 and only one crash with sp4. In both of these cases, I've lost the Finder so I haven't been able to check where the activity is.

Did I have to install something to get the CrashCatcher? I haven't seen it in this series of crashes. But I have sent in feedback. I thought I used to get the Crash Catcher.

It's been quite some time since OW 5.5SP crashed. I just had a repeat of the scenario where I had to Force Quit to make OmniWeb go away after submitting a CrashCatcher report.

We are aware of the problem, but we haven't really narrowed down what causes it and, as you noted, OmniWeb is "unfortunately" very stable for us lately (so sad :D)--internally we've only had 1 crash in 5 days.

Since it's a long time between SP crashes (there I go tempting fate again), I'd be interested in knowing whether anyone has experiencing a successful crash, i.e., the OmniWeb process goes away after submitting (or perish the thought, dismissing) the CrashCatcher window.

For the record, I just had my first crash with SP12, and the OmniWeb process hung around after I submitted my CrashCatcher report.

I have had a lot of crashes where there is a lot of CPU activity and OW does not quit after the CC report is sent. I took several Samples after the crashes and sent them in so hopefully Omni can see what is going on.