The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Undo/Command-Z should reopen last closed window or tab Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild
Agreed. The combined stop/reload button in Safari can be a real pain sometimes.
I agree but would still like such a combined button. Especially considering my real estate space on the toolbar is shrinking: I have 20 icons, plus the address bar. I may remove some, but not a lot.

Last edited by David Latapie; 2006-08-25 at 12:45 AM..

Again, as most people (including myself for a long time) don't know that feature: You can have a seperate address bar (location bar), thus getting much more space for icons in the toolbar (and more space in the autocompletion dropdown): Just hit Alt-Cmd-L.

And there's a lot of posts around here that talk about the advantages and disadvantages of combining those buttons. To sum them up: while at first it may seem like a good idea, it presents way more problems than it claims to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zottel
Again, as most people (including myself for a long time) don't know that feature: You can have a seperate address bar (location bar), thus getting much more space for icons in the toolbar (and more space in the autocompletion dropdown): Just hit Alt-Cmd-L.
I do know it—when I request address for a pop-up-no-bar window, this is this location bar that I get. It is really nice, by the way. But that would also means a second, which I don't want :-)

Thanks for reminding everyone the tip, anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Latapie
I agree but would still like such a combined button. Especially considering my real estate space on the toolbar is shrinking: I have 20 icons, plus the address bar. I may remove some, but not a lot.
It seems this thread was hijacked. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams
How about a command (or section) in the History menu something like "Recently Closed Tabs", which has as a submenu a list of the last x tabs that were closed? I don't think there's a good way to integrate windows into this without introducing some confusion as to whether a tab should be located under its window or on its own, but even without windows, the user can still get what they needed - which I would guess is usually just one or two tabs in any case.
Another vote for this.

I really like Opera's way of handling undo close tab. If you close a tab CMD-Z will get it back (history and position).

If the tab that comes up after closing a tab has a text field focused, then it will undo the last text typed there. You would have to unfocus the text field to get the tab back.

I don't think it would be unpredictable; it makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashugan
I really like Opera's way of handling undo close tab. If you close a tab CMD-Z will get it back (history and position).

If the tab that comes up after closing a tab has a text field focused, then it will undo the last text typed there. You would have to unfocus the text field to get the tab back.

I don't think it would be unpredictable; it makes sense to me.
I like Opera's way too. Firefox's way allows for unclosing tabs in a closed windows (e.g. last tab of a window), which Opera doesn't allow, closed tabs being window dependant.

So, a mix of both: get the button from Opera and the whole-software (vs. window-only) behaviour from Firefox.

Yes, I agree that command-option-Z would be best so as to avoid confusion with text field/address bar/search bar editing. Besides, it's not a shortcut you'll be using as often as, say, command-T, command-B, or command-D, so it can be relegated to the alternate funtion for Z.

I'd just like to bring some attention back to this feature. I'm considering switching from Opera to Omniweb, and this is one of the main features I feel is lacking.

I would love to see OW be able to undo an array of "destructive" actions. Using the history would not work well with my browsing habits. I tend to maintain multiple windows each with multiple tabs. I also read and delete some tabs faster than others, while opening new tabs as well. I do not guarantee that I delete tabs in the order that I open them. Since history is chronologically ordered by time of opening tabs and not time of closing tabs, finding tabs open long ago but just recently & accidentally closed are lost in the LONG past history list.

In for undo!

Speaking of history: I like the Safari possibility to undo History deletion. It is planned to implement it in OmniWeb?