The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I am looking for special brainstorm/mind map application Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For several years now, I have looked for a mind map / brainstorm app that has the following criteria:
- Infinite drawing area. Ie no restrictions on size of the map.
- "Zoom" / "Focus" function; When clicking on an object that object should be highlighted, it's neighbour (sibling) objects should be somewhat dimmer, and their neighbours should be even dimmer.

Any suggestions? Or do I have to learn to program to get what I want...? :P

On the mac your options are limited. I don't know of one that has the bright, dim, dimmer requirement that you have.

There will always be some limit on page size (if only that imposed by the ram and/or disk space)

What is the problem you are trying to solve using this approach?
iThoughtsX has useful keyboard shortcuts to show/hide branches.

If we know more about the usage scenario/workflow someone may be able to offer alternative approaches.

Otherwise, break out the programming tutorials...

Have you looked at a TheBrain? But as mentioned above, tell us what you problem domain is.

Thanks for your interest!

What I try to do is a general Problem/Focus approach. My brain works like this. I want to work with graphical elements and a visual approach. I actually think that this could be a huge hit for the entire market, if done in the right way.
I have used Omnigraffe quite a lot, but it's too complicated and lacks the effectiveness of a dedicated Mindmap app.

Example; Take a project in Omni Focus with parallell tasks. I want to buy a new car.
Instead of this text:
• Buy new car
Volvo
Chrysler
Honda
Mercedes
BMW

...I want a picture as the attachment.
And by clicking on one of the elements would set that as the highlighted, while everything else dims. And so forth.
(Dim level, and how many levels, should of course be adjusted with a simple setting.)

I want to connect related info to these elements/actions with no restrictions.

I have looked at TheBrain, some years ago. It was close but had some issues.

Scapple is also good, but miss the dim thing. There are a lot of good Mindmap apps, but none has the focus/dim thing that I want.
It's all about focus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brainfocus.png
Views:	2222
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	2978  

This is such a general need, I wonder why someone has not built a cursor replacement tool to do it.

I wonder if you could use Prezi for this, though I find its zooming around can be sick-making.

www.prezi.com

Of course there used to be OmniDazzle ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiamenese View Post
I wonder if you could use Prezi for this, though I find its zooming around can be sick-making.
Prezi seems interesting, but tedious to work in. An app I'll remember though, thanks!