The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: Card View Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
David Allen claims that the best way to process or review something is to deal with one item at a time. When I process things in OF, I often get distracted by multiple items in the lists; they are "always there", even if you try to focus on the topmost thing. It would be great if you folks added a "Card View" that would look just like a physical inbox seen from top. 3D goodness will be appreciated, although it is by no means indispensable.
Anyone got comments about this idea?
Michael

You might want to try out the OmniFidget widget.

Yeah, but it misses a lot of important features (it doesn't show the project title, the context, I cannot edit it - and thus use it in the reviewing process etc). Besides, I would like this thing to be incorporated right into the app and not to reside on my dashboard.
In my humble opinion, this "card view" mode would be very GTDish indeed, so I'm just looking forward to seeing it one day.

Last edited by Michael Grinberg; 2009-11-04 at 11:53 AM..

If you just want to see one project at a time, only select one project in the sidebar, and close the sidebar. Use the arrow keys to move through the list of projects as you do the review. You can use cmd-4 to get the focus back in the sidebar if you've clicked in the outline section. Select the Next Action view if you need to further narrow the view (though a Single Action List will always show all available actions).

Thanks for answering. Nope, I would like to see one action at a time. And, yes, it's so cool that the app lets you focus on the things you want - this is what it's all about. But as far as I can see, it just cannot focus on a single action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Select the Next Action view if you need to further narrow the view (though a Single Action List will always show all available actions).
I tried the "Next Action" view, but it doesn't work when processing inbox, does it?

If a specific idea of a card view that obviously isn't now part of the application is what you're looking for, you really have to request it with the send feedback menu item.

Having said that, I haven't taken the time to do it, but it doesn't seem all that hard to upgrade the functionality in the OF widget. If you were looking for a weekend project you might want to do that, though I acknowledge it wouldn't be built in to the application.

Ok, I'll the "send feedback" option, thank you for a good idea.
I've thought about building the thing by hand, but I know nothing about widgets (I am a historian and a language teacher, not an IT guy); a weekend won't be enough in my case.

Michael, I agree with you, which is why I do the following when I want to accomplish what you've described:

1. Make sure that my actions in the project are listed in sequential not parallel order.
2. Make sure that the Status Filter is set to "Next Action."
3. In project view select the project from the project list and click on "Focus" in the toolbar.

The above setup results in the display of only the project you're working and that project's next action. Once you mark that action as complete, the next action will be displayed, and will continue on in that way until all actions are completed.

And, no, you cannot do this in the inbox, as the inbox is meant only to be a temporary holding place for your tasks until you move them into their appropriate projects, single-action lists, etc.

Hope this helps.

John

I think card view is a fantastic idea. Sometimes while I'm working on something, I'll have 2-3 interruptions and lose track of what I need to be working on. I'll fill out a feature request.