The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sequential / Parallel hybrid Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, is there a way to represent both sequential and parallel tasks at once within one project?

i.e. "Call Joe", "Email Mary", then "deliver boxes".

I don't necessity need to "Call Joe" prior to "Emailing Mary", these aren't dependant tasks in my project, and I can do either as soon as I decide to enter that particular context. But, I do need to both "Call Joe" and "Email Mary" prior to "delivering the boxes".

I guess I'd like the ability to mark any number of disparate tasks in a project as "available" as opposed to all of them, or just the task at the top of the list being "available".

Is there a way to do this currently in OmniFocus?

Thanks!
Ethan

I'm not sure if this quite fits your needs, but I noticed that a task group can have either sequential or parallel dependence regardless of the setting for the project. For example ...

Project 1 - Parallel
Task 1.1
Task 1.2
Task Group 1.3 - Sequential
sub-task 1.3.a
sub-task 1.3.b
Task 1.4

Cheers. - Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMucho View Post
I don't necessity need to "Call Joe" prior to "Emailing Mary", these aren't dependant tasks in my project, and I can do either as soon as I decide to enter that particular context. But, I do need to both "Call Joe" and "Email Mary" prior to "delivering the boxes".
Ethan, I don't know if this is what you're after, but here's how I would setup your example:

Tasks 1 & 2 (Sequential)

Task 1 (Parallel): Alert colleagues about upcoming delivery
Call Joe
E-mail Mary
Task 2: Deliver boxes

Note that Task 1 is a sub-project, and thus can be set independently (sequential or parallel) from the project itself.

John