The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to make OmniFocus work for complex projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I'm a journalist, and I work on many projects at the same time so I want to be sure I get the right software. I've been experimenting with OmniFocus and Things, and have questions about if / how I can make OmniFocus work for me.

-My biggest sticking point with OmniFocus is it's inability to assign a value to an item in the way that Things allows one to determine if a task his a high, medium or low priority. I need some way of triaging task in order to determine the order in which to tackle them. Flags just doesn't cut it because it's just one priority. I welcome ideas or suggestions.

-I have a general understanding of Contexts, but I don't understand why OmniFocus only allows a task to have one Context. For example, I might have a task that reads "Email lawyer about apartment matters." This would obviously fall under a Project "Apartment" and a Context "Computer::Email." But the Context for my task could also be Context "Home," among other other categories. I might have a fundamentally different understand of how OmniFocus works and ought to work for my project / task management.

I understand that OmniFocus's view Filters and Perspectives to create and save useful views, but it seems that such views are limited by the inflexibility of assigning new / different values to tasks (or folders, projects, etc.). So far it seems that one can only do this via assigning due dates, but that seems like I'd be assigning an arbitrary date for most of my tasks, so...I'm not sure that would be helpful.

Smaller concerns...

-Is there a way to change styles so that one can have a grid and / or corresponding numbers for tasks?

-I've read how everyone is wild about the syncing between OmniFocus for Mac and the iPhone and iPad. But what does one do when traveling and doesn't have access to a wireless network? (I often travel in such places.) Is there any way to do this via iTunes?

-I like the way in which Things stores old tasks and projects in its Logbook, and keeps track of the result of particular tasks. Sometimes it's necessary for me to log notes about certain tasks. Is there a similar function in OmniFocus in terms of collecting notes related to particular tasks?