The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner Suggestions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would like to see an OO manual that contains in-depth reference information about program usage. I don't seem to find many answers to my OO questions in the current manual.

Also, your statement at the beginning of the forum to the effect that email questions get faster responses is unusual in my experience. Usually software forums take the view that quesions and answers publically posted on official forums results in more effective dissemination of information about the program.

Scott Betz

Hi Scott-

The OO manual is not for in-depth reference; it's more of an introduction to the software to get you going. The help file contains the more in-depth information. If you find the help file is lacking specific information, please let us know.

While email does receive a higher priority then the forums, that doesn't mean we don't check the forums regularly through the day. However, unless there's an urgent matter on the forums, emails receive priority as there's no one else to answer them. On the forum, you have the whole forum user community to possibly provide an answer.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns about either of these topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Betz
Usually software forums take the view that quesions and answers publically posted on official forums results in more effective dissemination of information about the program.
I don't disagree that forum postings can have a potentially wider audience than an email sent to us, and for the folks that read them regularly or reach them by search engines, they are a valuable resource. That's why we have them.

However, in my role as the head support ninja, I'm cautious about letting folks assume that posting a something on the forums guarantees that we'll read and respond to every single post. Our trouble ticket system that we use when we have our "official" support hats on has a lot of options that a general-purpose forum doesn't.

Example: if you respond six months from now to a trouble ticket, it'll open back up and stay assigned to the person that was helping you before. Doing that for every post in every thread on our forum would be a lot muddier of a situation. Who at omni responds when one poster responds directly to another?

There's also the issue that arises when folks want to ask us a question, but don't want to ask us, google, and everyone else on the forum. ("I lost my password" emails, for example.) Given that we're going to have multiple points of contact, I'd like to keep one option as the "Official" support option.

We make the assumption that every email that's not obviously spam that comes in to a support address is an explicit request for a response from us, and we provide that.

If folks want to *guarantee* that they'll get their feature request into our database, or want to *guarantee* that they'll get a response to their question, I'd ask them to use the tool that makes it easier for us to do so. Right now, that's still email.