The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thoughts on the new notes icon Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think the old paperclip-only icon was a much simpler and elegant solution than the newer one that shows a paperclipped notepad.

While I can surmise the conceptual reasons why the changes were made to the icon, visually it draws too much attention to itself and seems busier than the rest of the interface.

Over the last couple days glancing at my lists, my eye is always drawn to these new note icons first, even before the text or flags. Part of this may just be the newness of it, but it seems to be affecting the scanability of my lists.

Was just wondering what other people's thoughts were on this?

I prefer this new icon. Now I have a good visual cue that there's a note attached. The paperclip was too visually small for me.

I prefer the new icon.

new icon good for me too

Yup, same for me. As with the current flag icon, my peripheral vision rarely caught the note icon. Now it is obvious when something has a note, and I like that. Now for that tiny little flag...

Couldn't agree more Amber. The flag icon is, to all intents and purposes, a nonentity, and eminently missable! I rather like the new notes icon though.

Ditto^2, Amber.

(Sorry to pile on, ryanpmack.)

Curt

Greatly prefer the new notes icon. I was honestly unaware of the existence of the old notes icon and I use OF daily with a lot of tasks that have notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpmack
I think the old paperclip-only icon was a much simpler and elegant solution than the newer one that shows a paperclipped notepad.
I couldn't agree more. This new paperclip icon clutters up the screen. Less is better. I liked the original paperclip icon much better.

I wonder if the index-card theme is going overboard. Besides the attachment icon, it appears in (and mostly provides the shape for) all of these toolbar icons:
- Projects mode (and New Projects)
- Contexts mode
- Focus
- View
I have the first three of these as my first three toolbar icons, without text labels, and they seem indistinct to my eyes. I think the mode switcher is particularly difficult to parse since Omni changed the at-sign to a card with an at-sign.