The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Someday/Maybe/On Hold Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Personally, I agree with what Lucas just mentioned.

About if it really matters having a different name titled "someday/maybe" kinda stuff when the "on hold" feature really does the exact same thing.
It seems for some people its just the mindset of knowing their "Someday/Maybes" are in a special folder with those items on hold. All this is just a mentallity with future projects, to distinguish (mentally) between things that are currently on hold and seperating them from things that you would perhaps, maybe, someday want to tackle.

& as mentioned by DancingBrook, I believe the feature of single action items that are placed in the "miscellaneous" bucket is a nice touch in OF that many of us had found not only practical after use, but also something we just can't without.

So, why not just create something similar for Someday/Maybes in OF? I know OF isn't supposed to follow exactly "GTD" but many of us do know a small bit of the methodology or quite a lot.

As of right now I have all my somday/maybes in a bamboo magazine file folder in my room, with numerous notes stating things like, "Take an Ethics course" or "Go hiking in Africa." Admittedly, my only aspect of GTD that is not within OF is the "Somday/Maybe." On a personal level, I'll continue to keep this bamboo file folder as my Someday/Maybe but def. wouldn't mind switching to OF along these lines if there was something more "Somdday/Maybe" in OF itself, rather than having me create a folder and putting things on hold. I mean, yeah I can do it...but, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Does the fact that the same functional status is selected in the inspector matter, since it functionally does the exact same thing, or do there really have to be two statuses with the exact same function but different names?
I am going to try to see if I can make what I want to happen easily within the existing OF set up. I do think we disagree regarding how we see the "function" of On Hold (temporary for something started or intended to be started) vs "Someday/Maybe (essentially an idea that may or may not be started).

I don't like the idea of changing the status of a project to On Hold because of waiting for one action (what about other parallel actions that don't pop to the top of the next action list?), and I don't like changing the context of an action just because it is On Hold.

I'd like to see an On Hold option for everything, and an optional date for follow up (just as I might put it into one of 43 folders for future follow up. I doubt DA would suggest we put our On Holds into a Someday/Maybe folder/box. But then I'm not a DA/GTD expert either.

Well I know Omni prefers we place these suggestions into a Feedback email, I hope they are following these discussions as the evolutionary basis for suggestions is often far more complex than what would ever likely make it into a Feedback/Suggestions note, all that said knowing I am still learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbrook View Post
I'd like to see an On Hold option for everything...
Then you're in luck! The Omni folks are doing exactly that for OmniFocus v2.

Quote:
...and an optional date for follow up...
That's really the purpose of the already existing review feature. You can read more about it in the manual and in this blog post from Linda.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
That's really the purpose of the already existing review feature. You can read more about it in the manual and in this blog post from Linda.

-Dennis
Thanks for the help. I look forward to 2.0. Is there a date announced yet (I know we are still waiting for 1.7)?

I hadn't got to the Review stage yet, but I see a review date for a project is in there, even when On Hold. I'm suggesting even an Action or a Group that is On Hold should get a review date, separate from a project review. Regardless of "On Hold", I might have a large group (ie a sub-project) that I might want to review more often than a bigger project review.

Edit:
So much to learn. I see Ken Case's suggestion for just shifting the due date for an Action or Group that's on hold. That makes a great deal of sense, as you don't need to change Context at all (perhaps the Manual/tutorial should reflect this, but too late with 2.0 on the way; they haven't even updated for 1.6). And it sounds like, along with On Hold being implemented for Actions, Folders and Projects (and I assume groups) review dates will get included, but I'm sending a feature request along just in case.

Last edited by dancingbrook; 2009-07-15 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Learning more

Quote:
I look forward to 2.0. Is there a date planned?
Not yet, at least nothing's been announced. Omni is still working on the v1.7 release, so I suspect v2 is still several months away.

Quote:
I'm suggesting even an Action or a Group that is On Hold should get a review date, separate from a project review. Regardless of "On Hold", I might have a large group (ie a sub-project) that I might want to review more often than a bigger project review.
Yeah, I see what you mean. Right now, review dates are only on the project level. I've found that to be sufficient for my use, but I think others have asked for more granularity as well. You should send feedback directly to Omni; the more requests a feature receives, the more weight it carries when Omni decides what to work on next.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri View Post
A convenient way to address this would be a start date of "someday" (abbr: som). That "date" would be later than any real date and also later than no date. It would not require any redesign of the interface, it could be applied to both tasks and projects, and it is pretty close to how many of us think of that category.
I like this idea a lot. This would be really cool.