The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Repetitive Task Template Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would like to do some very basic project management using OmniFocus and I'm not sure if it's possible to setup a template to make this easier for me.

I've tried OmniPlan but it's more complex than what I need for this job. All I require is a simple task tracker for keeping track of actions which are repeated in each project.

So the projects are all the same (or at least they all have the same tasks) and I would like to be able to create a whole bunch of them, give each a unique name and then tick off the actions as I complete them. Then start over again with another new project, etc etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Well, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I created a folder called "Templates" and set its status to "Dropped" so that it wouldn't show up unless I specifically set planning mode to show it. In that folder, I keep a bunch of projects that I use repeatedly: packing lists for travel, maintenance checklists for my vehicles, a list of things to do before I sell an old computer on eBay, etc.

When I want to use one of my template projects, I just option-drag it out of the Templates folder to wherever I want the new project to be. I then rename it and customize it to suit the specific instance. Hope this helps.

That's sounds like it could be a winner. Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Mike

One other thing that makes this a little more user-friendly: I created a perspective to show my templates folder in a new, simplified window (i.e. menu bar and view bar hidden, side bar focused on just the template folder, reduced window dimensions).

When I open this "Templates" perspective, the little window pops up next to my main OmniFocus window and shows just my templates. I can then Option-drag the one I want into the side bar of my main window for use. Seems to work pretty well for me.