The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How to block flash ads? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
true that it can be done, but it must be done with ease. web browsers are supposed to be simple as it is. a nice contextual menu option would be phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelim
true that it can be done, but it must be done with ease. web browsers are supposed to be simple as it is. a nice contextual menu option would be phenomenal.
Hey, this is a power users browser, come on. Regular Expressions are extremely powerful.

I think maybe the only thing I would add is a way to update the default list in the ad block list. Though, I guess if the browser is updated pretty regularly, that's not a big deal. That is, assuming OG updates this list periodically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
If that is so, OmniGroup won't see my money for OW before 6.0.

I am using Safari + Saft right now, and for a browser to deserve money against free solutions it has to be at least as powerful - if not more.

Scoff it off if you must, but adblocking is an important feature for a lot of people browsing the web these days.
Please, OmniWeb is far more powerful than Safari and Saft (which isn't free anyway - Saft costs $12) by a long, long way. What you mean is that it must be as good as or better for you in this one particular area. I am not going to disagree that the ease of ad blocking couldn't be improved in terms of its UI in OmniWeb but the actual ad blocking feature itself is extremely powerful. What OmniGroup needs to do to improve the usability is:

1. Allow the import/export of filter sets so users can share. This should also allow you to merge other users filtersets with your own (and add a "rollback" feature as well in case you don't like the results).
2. When you select the filter image option from the contextual menu, it should present you with a sheet that allows you to edit the auto-created regex straight away so that you can reduce the specificity of the filter at point of entry (if you so choose) rather than post-addition.
3. Flash and other plug-ins should have their own filtering mechanism so that you can pick and choose which Flash to block/allow independently of images (e.g. you may wish to allow flash for a site, but not the ad images and vice versa).
4. The ability to block Flash or other plug-in content should also be an option obtainable through the same mechanism as 2. above.

What would really put it head and shoulders above the rest would be a regex checker that would scan your ad block list for badly parsed filters and correct them for you.

I don't know what is your browser, for firefox you can download "adblock plus", add the filter rule as refered above. But for ie, "adblock pro" would be the best choice, you can right click to disable flash for each site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth View Post
I don't know what is your browser, for firefox you can download "adblock plus", add the filter rule as refered above. But for ie, "adblock pro" would be the best choice, you can right click to disable flash for each site.
What is the format of the OmniWeb block file?