The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reviews (quick, long) Post Here Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnz View Post
A "Focus" mode like in Appigo's Todo is missing where you can configure a view with the tasks that are due in the next 7 days or so. The forecast mode in Omnifocus is similar, but I would have to go through each day to see the items instead of everything at once ordered by day. This is just not practical for me. You display all projects and the next item while the next item is some project might be due in the next few months and leave out the tasks that might be due tomorrow if there is some other task before it. I rather want to have displayed the next view items that are due at once.
If you click on Perspectives in the sidebar, there's a Due view (which you can add to your sidebar by clicking on the star) which should let you see exactly that.

If you have the desktop version of OF then you can further customise this view by creating your own perspective, and then sync it to the iPad.

Last edited by pmdf; 2010-07-31 at 02:09 AM..

There also needs to be some indication that there is an attachment included in the project/action. If I add an attachment, there is no way of telling this unless I physically open a task and move to the attachments tab.

The usual little paperclip icon is needed here.

Ok, I have had a chance to go back to use the iPhone and desktop version and have more thoughts.

- Yes the UI needs help. It is a little over designed, too much wasted space and it has lost a lot of the Omni Grouo core which is simplicity. Things pop and move.

- Tapping and hold is not a good user interface for something you want to do quickly like adding a new item to a project. Tap and hold is good for settings and things you don't do a lot. Easy capture needs to be added back. Even the quick entry box pops, than moves up. Too much animation.

- it has performance issues. Screens stall while loading, and it can't keep up with my tapping. It takes 11 seconds to load on iPad. 7 secons on iPhone 4. It takes 3 seconds to load forecast mode.

- the views are still off. I should be able to filter out pending projects withough filtering out all of my actual tasks.

Overall it is a good product but I feel like they went a little too much back to the drawing board and didn't keep enough of the core principles of GTD in that the program should get out of your way and let you capture and do.

Hoping for some updates and fixes (which I trust Omni Group will do)

BZ

Last edited by BwanaZulia; 2010-07-31 at 03:00 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Not sure it is...

I am on a project, it has a task I think of a few more tasks, I want to add them quickly. Double tapping to get the pop up, gets me no where.

There is a + button the top, but it isn't under the project.

Think about how easy it is to add a task to a project on the desktop app, it shouldn't be harder than that.

That bottom bar (the wasted one that is just rounded right now) should be tap-able. You tap it, and down pops another task.

BZ
If you really want to add multiple tasks to the project, then you can focus on the project and click the + button, and you will see the option to add a new task in the project.

I know it's still more taps than what you are asking, but I found this to be helpful in adding multiple tasks at the same time to a project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Ok, I have had a chance to go back to use the iPhone and desktop version and have more thoughts.

- Yes the UI needs help. It is a little over designed, too much wasted space and it has lost a lot of the Omni Grouo core which is simplicity. Things pop and move.

- Tapping and hold is not a good user interface for something you want to do quickly like adding a new item to a project. Tap and hold is good for settings and things you don't do a lot. Easy capture needs to be added back. Even the quick entry box pops, than moves up. Too much animation.

- it has performance issues. Screens stall while loading, and it can't keep up with my tapping. It takes 11 seconds to load on iPad. 7 secons on iPhone 4. It takes 3 seconds to load forecast mode.

BZ
Again, we have to agree to disagree.

I love the UI. It's the best of three in my book.
The multi-touch interface offers a lot of interesting options and different feel than the traditional PC with mouse interface. I love the way I can move and do things in my iPad versus my Mac. Then again, it might be personal preference.
I don't know how many projects/tasks you have, but I don't experience the delays you describe.

Thanks.

BZ,

There were lots of cosmetic issues reported during the beta (such as the annoying trait of the editor to slide out from under where you were trying to tap) that were (rightfully, IMO) deferred until the 1.1 release in the interests of getting the product out into the hands of a wider audience. Omnigraffle got a big tune-up with its follow-up revision and OmniFocus should be the same. There won't be the same worries about last minute tuning potentially destabilizing the release, etc. You've been a long-time OmniFocus user and have seen how much extra work is done in subsequent (free) updates. I don't see any reason to think it will be otherwise here, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdf View Post
If you click on Perspectives in the sidebar, there's a Due view (which you can add to your sidebar by clicking on the star) which should let you see exactly that.

If you have the desktop version of OF then you can further customise this view by creating your own perspective, and then sync it to the iPad.
There is no "perspectives" in my side bar.

How are people integrating all of their tasks that are generated from email into the new OF? This is one of my most used functions on the MAC version and one of the main reasons I continue to use it.

I assume bc of the limitations of the Ipad OS that it is not possible to do this but I cannot be alone in the need to correlate action from email to OF. Any work arounds?

If you have the desktop app, and can leave your Mac running its Mail application, you can use OmniFocus for Mac's ability to convert emails to actions. See the help for "process mail" for details. You don't get a link to the original message in Mail as you would if you used the Clip-o-torn, but those links don't work with the iPad Mail app, so perhaps it won't matter.

@ksrhee Tasks that are done all the time, that are repetitive and are the essence of the program (adding, editing, moving tasks on a project) should not be taps away. They should be easy, fast and intuitive.

The UI is ok, it has a lot to like and they focused on really making it iPad friendly, but they threw out some of what makes the desktop version so good, that it is very sparse and is all about the data. Not backgrounds, colors, icons. It is about projects, folders, tasks.

@whpalmer4 Trust me that I know they will make changes, but some of these things seem like they intentionally didn't do them, which is worrisome, since it means they think it was a good idea (UI, adding tasks, etc). I rather see a missing feature than a feature that is badly implemented.

BZ