The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't see Perspectives in sidebar Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
On the iPad, the perspectives sidebar item will only show up if you create a custom context mode perspective on the Mac. There are context mode perspectives in the default database on the Mac but those will not appear on the iPad unless a custom one is created as for the most part they're all duplicates of built-in sidebar items. So this could explain your need to create a new perspective first.
No, they are not duplicated. The due perspective is completely different from the forecast and indefinitely more useful than the forecast as it gives you an overview over multiple days in one list. I initially missed exactly this view. The perspectives entry should be enabled by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
On the iPad, the perspectives sidebar item will only show up if you create a custom context mode perspective on the Mac. There are context mode perspectives in the default database on the Mac but those will not appear on the iPad unless a custom one is created as for the most part they're all duplicates of built-in sidebar items. So this could explain your need to create a new perspective first.
Huh? The first Perspective I mentioned was a custom Perspective. I varies from the built in Due in that I changed the Status Filter of "Due Soon" to "Remaining" so that I could have a list of all remaining tasks, not just the due soon ones. I saved this under the name "Remaining Due" and used the alarm clock icon as its icon. This showed up in the iPhone app, and I like it because it keeps my overdue tasks on the same list as tasks with due dates yet to be done. However when I synced my Mac Omnifocus with the iPad, the "Remaining Due" Perspective did not sync over, nor did I get the "Perspective >" item on the sidebar.

I knew something was wrong when a reviewer mentioned Perspectives and his screenshot had the "Perspective >" item on the sidebar. A data reset on the iPad did not help. On a whim, I decided to create a second Perspective. I randomly decided to change the Estimated Time Filter from "Any Duration" to "5 min" on my own "Remaining Due" Perspective and I saved this as "5 Min," so now I had 2 Perspectives that I had created. The next time I synced, both Perspectives showed up on the iPad.

Now, did what I just explain above satisfy your criterion that I did "create a custom context mode perspective on the Mac" to get the "perspectives sidebar item" to show up and that the second perspective should not have been necessary? Does this indicate a bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlow View Post
Huh? The first Perspective I mentioned was a custom Perspective. I varies from the built in Due in that I changed the Status Filter of "Due Soon" to "Remaining" so that I could have a list of all remaining tasks, not just the due soon ones. I saved this under the name "Remaining Due" and used the alarm clock icon as its icon. This showed up in the iPhone app, and I like it because it keeps my overdue tasks on the same list as tasks with due dates yet to be done. However when I synced my Mac Omnifocus with the iPad, the "Remaining Due" Perspective did not sync over, nor did I get the "Perspective >" item on the sidebar.

I knew something was wrong when a reviewer mentioned Perspectives and his screenshot had the "Perspective >" item on the sidebar. A data reset on the iPad did not help. On a whim, I decided to create a second Perspective. I randomly decided to change the Estimated Time Filter from "Any Duration" to "5 min" on my own "Remaining Due" Perspective and I saved this as "5 Min," so now I had 2 Perspectives that I had created. The next time I synced, both Perspectives showed up on the iPad.

Now, did what I just explain above satisfy your criterion that I did "create a custom context mode perspective on the Mac" to get the "perspectives sidebar item" to show up and that the second perspective should not have been necessary? Does this indicate a bug?

Found out a little while ago that another possibility for what's causing this is if your "Remaining Due" perspective was created a long time ago, I don't know when off-hand, but I think around OF 1.6 or earlier. Around that time we started keeping track of new perspective data that's used to order them on the iPad. If you made this perspective before we started keeping that data and never modified it afterwards, then it probably won't show up until you add another perspective.

It is possible there's a bug here, but so far we've been unable to reproduce it so any information you think might be pertinent please let us know. Thanks!

Hi, I have a similar problem - I do not see any of my custom perspectives on the iPad. I am quite sure I created all of them a long time ago.
I tried to modify them, even set up a new one - but still nothing shows on the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zao View Post
Hi, I have a similar problem - I do not see any of my custom perspectives on the iPad. I am quite sure I created all of them a long time ago.
I tried to modify them, even set up a new one - but still nothing shows on the iPad.
And these custom perspectives are of context mode correct? I think this is the first I've heard of it still not working after creating a new perspective.

Whether or not you've customized perspectives on a Mac, you can enable perspectives on your iPad with Enable iPad Perspectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Whether or not you've customized perspectives on a Mac, you can enable perspectives on your iPad with Enable iPad Perspectives.
That's cool. Thanks, Ken!

Enable Ipad Perspective didn't work for me :( , sidebar still doesn't show anything

Perspectives in my Omnifocus on my mac is not visible in my iPad. Tried the link you posted - it did not help. I have sent mail to the ninjas.

My ipad says, "Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid." when I click on the first one???